'78 Deville not starting in the morning

Randy Bobandy

LVC Member
Reaction score
MY CADDY SEEMS TO BE HAVING AN ISSUE WITH FUEL, AFTER ITS BEEN SITTING FOR A WHILE.

if I USE A LITTLE SHOT OF STARTER FLUID IN THE CARB, IT'LL START, RUN FINE, AND I CAN EVEN START AND STOP ALL DAY. LEAVING IT PARKED AND OFF FOR HOURS AT A TIME.

BUT IT WILL NEVER START IN THE MORNING.

MY HYPOTHOSIS IS THAT THE FUEL LINE GOING TO THE CARB MAY WORK ON A VACUUM, HOLDING FUEL ALL NIGHT. THAT WAY WHEN I PUMP THE GAS IT FILLS THE CARB, AND RELIABLY STARTS.

IF I HAVE A BAD GASKET OR O-RING THIS SEAL (VACUUM) ISNT WORKING AND THE FUEL DRAINS BACK INTO THE FUEL TANK.

THOUGHTS, IDEAS?

THANKS,

RANDY

Another piece to the puzzle is that when I am driving it around, there is a strong smell of fuel.. Not sure if the two are related.

QuadraJet carburetors leak from the main well plugs on the bottom and after an overnight sit the float bowl is empty and it takes about 30 seconds to get enough fuel in the carb to start the engine. Plenty of documentation on this and various repair methods online.

Woah, I guess this is a slow board lol. I just saw this post was from 2016 and it was on the first page!

Members online

No members online now.
Back