Buzz noise?

Lincoln06V8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well noticed a very wierd high pitched buzz noise coming from the back end that vairies pitch and also only starts buzzing around 45 MPH, looked at the diff and noticed the very top leaking and there was no leak before, the buzz does seem to go away after a bit of driving. The leak seems to be coming from the place circled in white.

20210210_171827.jpg

20210210_173250.jpg

That is a breather vent for the diff. They typically have a built in check valve, (but not always), to let pressure out as the diff fluid heats up.

Yours may be plugging up or failing... and as the diff fluid heats up it is building pressure... forcing a bit of fluid out the vent.

Either that... or if you recently did a fluid change, you may have over filled it. Or... the diff is low on fluid and getting hot... causing excess pressure to vent out the vent.

Either way... it might not be a bad idea to check the fluid level in the diff.

That is a breather vent for the diff. They typically have a built in check valve, (but not always), to let pressure out as the diff fluid heats up.

Yours may be plugging up or failing... and as the diff fluid heats up it is building pressure... forcing a bit of fluid out the vent.

Either that... or if you recently did a fluid change, you may have over filled it. Or... the diff is low on fluid and getting hot... causing excess pressure to vent out the vent.

Either way... it might not be a bad idea to check the fluid level in the diff.
I just went out and drove it again after it sat for awhile and got fairly cold and I didnt hear the buzzing noise this time, maybey the highway drive home got whatever was out of whack back in wack but my Hope's aernt up.;)o_O:(

I think that would be enough to cause me to change the oil in it. I wouldn't go all out and drop the differential to get the cover off. I'd stick a hose in the fill port and try to suck out as much of the old oil as possible and then refill.
Fortunately, neither of mine ever made any noise, so I never touched them.

I think that would be enough to cause me to change the oil in it. I wouldn't go all out and drop the differential to get the cover off. I'd stick a hose in the fill port and try to suck out as much of the old oil as possible and then refill.
Fortunately, neither of mine ever made any noise, so I never touched them.
Yes I will probably change it, so far it hasn't come back.

Hey... if you wanna pay almost double the price for the same thing... go for it.

From the internet:

"Ford Motorcraft Oil is the same as the Premium Valvoline Oil. In fact Roush and his various companies, all use Valvoline and are also involved with the Ford and Valvoline Oil and lubrication Engineering departments.Oct 24, 2001"
upload_2021-2-11_23-8-42.png

www.f150online.com › v8-engines
Motorcraft oil Who makes it ??? - F150online Forums

Ya I suppose your paying for the motorcraft name huh, but then again I am one of those brand name people haha!

Guy at Napa told me motorcraft doesn't even make parts, they just slapped motorcraft name on other aftermarket parts cuz they don't sell motorcraft, told them I didn't care I wanted one that said motorcraft on it and I walked out, lol

Guy at Napa told me motorcraft doesn't even make parts, they just slapped motorcraft name on other aftermarket parts cuz they don't sell motorcraft, told them I didn't care I wanted one that said motorcraft on it and I walked out, lol
Love it! I will only ever get motorcraft parts for all my Fords and lincolns. Only motorcraft all the way down to the fluids.

It's a bit more complicated than that. There are "select" parts suppliers that Ford uses to make OEM parts. They are held to a higher standard than most of the "aftermarket" parts manufacturers.

While most likely made by Lemforder, (and cast with the "Ford" name on them), they are a top tier supplier for Jag and Ford control arms. Many times when you order a Motorcraft part... you will find a "Ford" logo on it.

Dorman would be a good example of an aftermarket parts manufacturer, (notice I didn't say supplier). They make "direct replacement" parts. Their coolant bottles for the LS suck... and only hold up for a couple years... and most of their other parts are questionable.

Napa sells alot of reboxed Dorman parts... which is probably why the Napa guy thinks like he does.

Members online

Back