Windshield washer

bhans40

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
98 Mark base.....Noticed the other day when filling the reservior, washer fluid leaking out the bottom of the car.....Started to pull the reservior when I noticed a hose had seperated underneath the bottom of the reservior.....put it back together and thinking all was well....it's not!....What I did find out was if I start to fill it and it leaks out, if I go and hit the washer button with the ignition on washer motor runs, IT STOPS LEAKING! and WILL not leak any more until I go to put more fluid in......Saying all this: (1) I don't think the reservior is cracked.....(2) Might there be a problem with the motor?....(3) WHY,does it stop leaking when I use the washer? Anyone else ever have this problem? :(:(Bruce L Hansen.....Senior Citizen....Alive by the Grace of God

98 Mark base.....Noticed the other day when filling the reservior, washer fluid leaking out the bottom of the car.....Started to pull the reservior when I noticed a hose had seperated underneath the bottom of the reservior.....put it back together and thinking all was well....it's not!....What I did find out was if I start to fill it and it leaks out, if I go and hit the washer button with the ignition on washer motor runs, IT STOPS LEAKING! and WILL not leak any more until I go to put more fluid in......Saying all this: (1) I don't think the reservior is cracked.....(2) Might there be a problem with the motor?....(3) WHY,does it stop leaking when I use the washer? Anyone else ever have this problem? :(:(Bruce L Hansen.....Senior Citizen....Alive by the Grace of God
47 of you folks viewed this post w/o (1) one comment......With ALL the expertise on this site a person would reasonably think there is SOMEONE here who could point me in the right direction.....With 47 views.....Come on folks help me out......why? cause I NEED the help

Sorry, I don't have any specific knowledge of your car, nor have I experienced that symptom before.
I think you are going to have to see the leak source to have any idea what is going on or what you need to do. You may have to remove the reservoir assembly to do that.

Sorry, I don't have any specific knowledge of your car, nor have I experienced that symptom before.
I think you are going to have to see the leak source to have any idea what is going on or what you need to do. You may have to remove the reservoir assembly to do that.
You know joegr I think thats what I'm going to have to do.....I'll put the car on my ramps and see if I can stay at least a little dry.....Here where I live it was in the 20s all day....we'll see

Hey Bruce, the guys here are pretty amazing and have always helped whenever then can. If they are not posting it is likely they (like I) haven't had that issue and not sure how to help.

What I would do is to pull the reservoir out of the car and fill it up, so you can confirm where it is leaking.

I would think the added pressure or downward force of adding fluid is breaking the seal around the washer fluid motor. When you activate the motor it creates a vacuum and reseals and stops the leak. I know most of these fluid motors I've replaced on other cars have had a gasket on them to seal them in the reservoir tank. I can't say our M8's were designed like this as I haven't ever pulled the reservoir or the wash fluid motor.

My only guess is the seal from the motor to the reservoir bad
You will just have to get eyes on it
Also give it a week before complaining about replys the forums aren't as busy as they once were. Need to get people back from facebook

My only guess is the seal from the motor to the reservoir bad
You will just have to get eyes on it
Also give it a week before complaining about replys the forums aren't as busy as they once were. Need to get people back from facebook
You know your right.....I pulled the trigger too quick I apologize.....I didn't realize facebook is where folks are going. I don't use facebook,won't use facebook, not going to have some multi-billion dollar origination monitor what I say and block me if they think I'm not being politicly correct......(got a little carryed away sorry) Bruce L. Hansen.....Senior Citizen.....Alive by the Grace of God

Never had this problem, so I can't comment on it.
However. I don't use facebook, don't go there daily, because I didn't want the constant emails and notifications about joining farmville, or every single notice when some 'friend' is taking a piss. Not to mention, all the people who want to be my friend, who I've never known.
and yes, because I don't want them planting some cookie on my phone to track everywhere I go on the net whether I'm logged onto facebook or not.
All day long, my phone was going off for stupid stuff. And my email box was filled with nonsense. So, no more facebook notifications. I go there once a month, in case some long lost friend or relative is looking for me. It is, where I found a couple of distant lost relatives and friends, but that's about all it's good for.
Good luck with your windshield washer issue. I'll be checking to see your progress with this, as sooner or later, I'll probably wind up with the same.

Members online

No members online now.
Back