skipping burping procedure with cooling system vacuum fill

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays everyone!

Been doing some research due to my coolant vent cap being rusted. When I bought the car 7 years ago, it was completed rusted. I sprayed it with pb blaster two days in a row and was going to try to remove it. I have found this tool which everyone on yyoutube swears by it.

It removes all air out the system and then draws in coolant without any air - you do need a compressor.

1. anyone ever get the cap off this rusted?
2. is anyone here selling replacement SS caps?

https://www.amazon.com/UView-550000...qid=1609049874&sprefix=coolant,aps,196&sr=8-6

20201224_165701.jpg

20201224_165653.jpg

Wow, never seen one that bad. I think you need to think seriously about replacing that entire upper coolant pipe. It would be a wast of time & money to run down the rabbit hole of trying to get that pipe in a reliably working condition. Think of the heat, vibration and pressure that pipe and its joints are under at 6000 rpm. You need to think about a intake manifold R&R to get a new pipe in place. JMO.

Wow, never seen one that bad. I think you need to think seriously about replacing that entire upper coolant pipe. It would be a wast of time & money to run down the rabbit hole of trying to get that pipe in a reliably working condition. Think of the heat, vibration and pressure that pipe and its joints are under at 6000 rpm. You need to think about a intake manifold R&R to get a new pipe in place. JMO.
Thanks xtriggerman. I thought of that, with replacing the crossover tube, I will still have to burp the system each time. If I spend a bit more on the vacuum fill tool, I will save time not having to burp the system anytime in the future, not having to mess with the tube vent cap and can still change coolant etc. Maybe I should try to remove it - who knows, maybe the previous owner used anti-seize on it!

Theres another place that contributes to air in the system that no one anywhere mentions. I had a problem burping mine when I put a new aluminum radiator in it. Even overheaded the car testing the burp out that apparently failed to get the air out. Any way, After parking the car on a steep up hill on my yard and refilling like 3 times after I over headed the car, Everything was good. Then I had to figure out why I had no heat in the car and when I went to back flush the heater core I found there was quite a lot of air in the upper heater core pipe joint in front of the cowel. So I figured out a way to fill that with a rag around the pipe/ hoes joint partly opened enough to stick a small funnel in between the top of the joint and when it starts over flowing, push the funnel out of the gap and quickly push the hoes onto the heater core pipe. That area apparently captures residual air in that high spot and no one knows its a catch all despite having no engine cooling issues. Since the heater cores in these cars have a slow flow, the air just cant get pushed down out of there. Maybe if you were to constantly red line the engine, but just normal driving wont purge that pocket of air threw to the fill plug. After all that, it was the upper black blend door arm that I had all ready fixed with glue & wire a year earlier. This time the black arm snaped off right around the door control stud. My repair was solid but the black plastic is so glass brittle it just snapped further into the door shaft hold. Thats why its imperative to buy the new white upper control arms offered on Ebay, That white plastic material the chinese used on the repro is tuff stuff.

Last edited:
What all do you need this tool and an air compressor because my radiator is shot I'm thinking of going with a 3 core and I'm trying to get a feel for what all I need

The refill tool and air compressor.
Plus it will save the hour or more burping the coolant system. I did not want to spend and hour or more trying to remove the air now during winter. Its only been around the freezing mark, but still too cold to spend a couple of hours changing the oil filter adaptor gasket and then have to spend another hour to refill and burp the coolant system.

So I bought the below - it was a $142. CAD. The Canadian version is listed as a Uview 550500. you do need an air compressor for it to work, but wow it works amazing! I refilled my m8 in less than two minutes, with no air in the cooling system.

Cooling System Kit - 550500 by UVIEW on PartsAvatar.ca
Its interesting - the part was cheaper at partsavatar than the Canadian amazon.

For the US Amazon it is listed as a Robinair https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-752...lant+vacuum+refill+kit&qid=1612153236&sr=8-11

I wanted to create a full write up as I found an access hole that no one else has spoken of for the oil filter adaptor gasket. I have not had time, but see photos of the refill tool. Be sure to have more new coolant to draw from than the system will hold, so you don't end up sucking any air in. The tool even removes the air from the intake hose - which if you watch on utube, everyone misses that and sucks air in the line when they first draw in the new coolant, when refilling.

20210121_215650.jpg

20210121_215644.jpg

20210121_215657.jpg

Very clever using what looks like a storage tote, well the IRS finally is getting us the stimulus money I can't see a reason not to buy the tool and a cheap little air compressor I've always wanted an air compressor too but I've never had a reason to buy one is there a particular kind you recommend

Last edited:
Yes, the tote holds far more that the 16L or so the M8 does. I saw guys use the Prestone bottles but when moving from one to another when empty, you will get air in the line. The tote is clean and makes the job easy. just make sure the hose stays in the bottom, you can see I taped the hose to the tote.

For compressors you will have a much larger selection than I being in Canada. Best to search for something that will have a minimum shop air requirement:90 psi with a cfm of 7.5. Most air tool are rated at 90 -100psi.
This will depend on what refill tool you buy, so check with manufacturer. I have watched guys on utube use smaller compressors - it took longer to vacuum air out, but still seemed to work - although I didn't see them take the car on a test drive.

The cool thing about the tool is, it will tell you if you have a coolant leak. When you vacuum out the air, they say to wait two minutes to ensure the pressure on the gauge does not move from the 25 or 26 it stops at. If the pressure reduces 25, 24, 23, then you have a leak.

Did a quick search for you and found the tool for $78.71:
FYI you will need the hose fitting. It does not come with the tool, but these are only a couple of bucks.

UView 550500 AIRLIFT II, NEW | Tool Discounter

Wow.. so you were able to vacuum out the system and refill via the reservoir completely and without opening the crossover tube and venting out pressure adding coolant through the crossover cap? After doing the procedure once, did you have to go back through the system again after heat cycling? Was the car running at the perfect temp after the first time of doing this? Usually during the OEM procedure, you are supposed to leave the reservoir cap on the whole time after topping it off, and only opening and adding through the crossover tube. Using the standard method can take hours, and sometimes you still have bubbles in the system that you have to chase after and repeat over and over until they are all gone.

My buddy used one of these tools on my 92 Thunderbird LX 3.8 engine, but that had a vent plug you opened and filled the system normally and literally all the air pushed out and it hissed quite loudly in the process.. it was amazing, and he had a tool that powerflushed the radiator first, which I was comfortable doing because I was doing the heater core a few weeks later. The 302 was a tad different but same idea and all the air got burped quickly. My Lexus SC430 has a fantastic design with the system and its super easy to bleed, just by leaving the radiator cap off and running the engine till the thermostat opens while the heater is on. After it drops, you add fluid. The next day, it will be a little low and add fluid to the reservoir, and may need to repeat once or twice and until it was done. The 4.6 32V engine is obviously different and is much more involving.. its amazing with a little bubble of air will do to the car. I read about people putting in the Griffin radiators and the car runs hot, and it was because after 3-4 attempts, it took another 2 attempts before the air was purged although I think the extra attempts were needed because of the extra coolant capacity.

If this tool works just as well on the Mark VIII, then its a game changer and Ill pick one up from Harbor Freight so I can have it when installing the Griffin I want to get in the near future, since the cooling system with that radiator will require more tedious bleeding. I want to be able to have the car run normal or even slightly cooler temps while having the AC full blast during 120 degree heat even going up a steep grade.. This car certainly has a ballsy fan, so it seems possible and logical since my Lexus SC430 can do this with the stock radiator. I am wondering if Ford techs use this tool, and bypass the normal shop procedure to bleed. There is a write-up on the Reische performance site that sells the 170 thermostats.

On a different note.. How is the cooling of the second gen Marks with a cooling system in good shape? Are you able to run the AC full blast when its 115-120 degrees out, and run the car up a grade when on a trip, and not have the temp gauge climb rapidly like the first gens do?

Yes it vacuums out the air after you drain the coolant. Did you see my burping cap? I did not touch it.

It was dark when I finished and it filled my overflow reservoir to the top quickly before I noticed it reached the cool line. I drained some, started the motor and did see a very small amount of bubbles come into the tank when I revved the motor. I think this is from my battery giving out half way through the refill. You are supposed to leave your heater on with the fan on high. My M8 was sitting for a few weeks as I was waiting for a warm day to change out the oil filter gasket.

I have had zero issues of over heating and the gauge is in the middle just as it always has been, once warm. Motor warms up the same and I have the same good heat as I did before.

Took me less than 2 minutes to refill the motor, without any burping through the crossover tube. Highly recommended. I did have to add some coolant after a heat cycle, but think that was due to me removing coolant as it filled it to the top of the reservoir.

Can't speak to the AC as its been around 23 - 35 fahrenheit

Members online

No members online now.
Back