820S vs D3410 & hot deal heads up.

xtriggerman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Most of the time a person can expect the "get what you pay" for to be the rule rather than the exception. The FL-820S seems to all ways be hailed as THE oil filter to be used as the standard of quality & price. I listen then look for evidence to prove that. I happen to like Bosch stuff for decent quality parts ever since I used to be big into VW diesel cars. Well here I use the Bosch Distance plus D3410 as a comparison to the motorcraft 820S standard.
By weight the 3410 is just under 1.5 lbs vs 15.6 oz of the 820.
Here you see the external can crimp
pbCOYKUm.jpg

When you look at the internal cross section of the crip and double the can treads and screw plate thickness, The 820 is looking pretty sad.
gDplzGPl.jpg

The 820 has 50 pleats of media and was extremely opened up on one side of the can while the Bosch has 61 pleats of far more evenly spaced pleats on the left side of the pics.
GW5H0WJm.jpg

VM47R5km.jpg

Here the Bosch as a over pressure by pass valve in its base that in case the filter media were to become blocked or had restricted flow, the valve would let the backing up pressure back into the engine rather than blowing the oil can apart.
cfwg16am.jpg

Clearly the Bosch is far superior to the 820. When I ban sawed the cans in half, the 820 lost its can crimp to the top and would have leaked like a sieve if it was on the car. The Bosch was just as weld solid as it was before the band saw vibration.
Now on Ebay, the D3410 is costing about 26 bucks each shipped and the filter shows what you get for the money. The BIG heads up here is if you go to RockAuto, they have the D3410 on wholesale for 5.98 each. This is the deal of the century on a fantastic filter for near give away price. I just ordered 10 filters plus a pair of new headlight bulbs to try out for $75 bucks shipped. I have one 820S on the shelf to collect dust from now on!
Oh, and dont forget to hit the web up for the standard 5% off coupon for Rockauto.

View attachment 828575098

View attachment 828575099

View attachment 828575104

Last edited:
Great timing xtriggerman! I have been asking everyone what type of oil they are running. Great info and photos.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned K&N for their choice of oil filter. Any thoughts on this brand? I use them in 88 GTA. Haven't opened one, but they do seem like a good quality build.

Back when I had a 97 Diesel Tahoe I did alot of reading on filters since the Chevy was pretty low on power. The test reviews of the K&N air filters were great for power but at the very bottom for keeping dirt out of your engine. I had all ready bought one and the home test to verify its inability in filtering is hold the filter up to the sun. You can see straight sun shine threw a multitude of pin holes that make up K&N filter media. K&N is built on power hyp advertising and from the stuff I'v read on their oil filters, they are on the level with Frams. The best air filters for dirt are mostly factory units and best in filtering And performance are oiled foam media filters. Maybe thats changed since 15 years ago but thats my understanding.

I am running a motorcraft on my 98 LSC... next oil change, I will be using this Bosch you mentioned.. and I will likely go the same route for my Lexus SC430 with 4.3 V8, and the BMW 328i x-drive with the 2.0 turbo!

For my old 99 Accord EX 2.3 Vtec, I dont care as much and it should be fine with 59k miles.. I am cleaning that car up, fixing what's needed, and selling it soon to make the money back for the LSC I just bought! On a side note, if anyone wants a cheap Honda beater to use for a daily to lay off their Marks or other nice cars, let me know!

Thank you for this post.. cutting open those filters says it all!!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back