Odds of oil filter adaptor gasket leaking right after oil change?

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just changed the oil. I switched from conventional to high millage synthetic. Started after oil change and let run a min. then shut off to confirm oil level. No leaks.

Started car next day and let run in the driveway for a minute, I backed out I stopped to put away the tarp I used to protect the driveway when changing oil and I looked under and there was a large puddle of new oil. I did not see any coolant. I did have a hard time changing the new oil filter. I place a plastic grocery bag over the filter to catch the oil. This has worked great and kept oil from spilling down the side of motor and frame. This time I put it too tight to the block and it got bound up from spinning off filter.

What are the odds of the adaptor gasket going right after changing and with no coolant present? Any one ever have a defective filter? I hand tight and then one full turn after.

Has anyone changed their oil from conventional to synthetic and then had a quart a min leak out? I think it may be the filter, but know many have had the filter adaptor gasket leak.

I've seen people double gasket oil filters a few times. It could be a coincidence that the ofag. Failed after an oil change and it doesn't have to leak coolant
Get under there and inspect be prepared to do the gasket

Checked and it is leaking from between the adaptor and block at the top adaptor bolt, then dripping down.

One question - do you have to burp the coolant system when changing the oil filter adaptor gasket?
Mine was all rusted when I bought the car 7 years ago. I've only put 49k miles since I bought the M8 and do not want to touch the vent cap on the crossover tube, if at all possible.

Yes you need to get the air out of the system after you change the gasket
You can try having the left front high in the air to fill and burp through the overflow tank but not guaranteed.
You could also just get a nice used crossover tube

Yes you need to get the air out of the system after you change the gasket
You can try having the left front high in the air to fill and burp through the overflow tank but not guaranteed.
You could also just get a nice used crossover tube
Thanks slowmkviii! Greatly appreciate the info. Racebronco has one for sale on ebay, but it doesn't have the vent plug.

Does anyone still make and sell stainless steel ones here? I thought you made these or maybe the shock mounts?

I think it may be easier to change that vs. the crossover tube, which isn't as easy to find parts in Canada.

I wonder if some WD40 and some heat may get mine loose?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back