Another Parking Brake Issue

Robert Crain

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My issue with the parking brake is not electronic if you can imagine that. My 2003 has a fluid leak located at the rotating assembly where the parking brake cable attaches to the driver's side rear caliper. I can't find a drawing that shows that assembly up close and am uncertain exactly how that works or how it can even leak brake fluid. It's not leaking at the brake hose or its gasket. The leak is a very slow constant drip but enough to let me know something's not right. The Lincoln shop manuals don't give an up-close view of it. I put a wrench on what nuts and bolts are there but everything seems tight. I have no other issues with the functionality of the parking brake. Any thoughts on solving this issue? Thanks. Rob

I've never taken one apart. The rebuild kits show a small o-ring like seal that is likely what seals the small shaft from the parting brake lever that goes through to turn the screw in the piston.
I think that you will either have to rebuild your caliper or replace it with a rebuilt one.

This diagram is not for the LS brake, but it should be the same principal.
+parking+brake.+This+type+uses+a+screw%2C+nut%2C+and+cone+mechanism+to+apply+the+caliper+piston..jpg

I'll just purchase a new brake caliper. I thought the parking brake mechanism was a Ford only type of thing. I was wrong. Good news really.

My wife's car actually has a stepper motor built into each of the rear caliper assemblies for the parking brake, eliminating the mechanical cables.

Can anyone recommend a rear caliper brand for my 2003 that they've had success with? Thanks! Rob
More Information for POWER STOP S4852
I have used this exact set for both Gen LS's and they never had any issues.
Also, we used that same brand for the wife's Lexus on the front about 4 months ago and so far they seem to be pretty good as well. I have had bad ones from Advance Auto though atleast 2 times so I try to avoid theirs. Also, the last time I used Advance Auto's they rusted badly in just a few days so not sure what went wrong there.

I had the rear drivers side caliper E-brake mechanism on the caliper hangup/stick really bad. I picked up a replacement at O-Reilly's, painted the outside of the caliper and it worked flawlessly until I sold the car.

Hope this helps.

I ended up installing two calipers I got from O-Reilly's. They went right in with no issues. Thanks all for your input. Rob

Bumping a super old thread, but I got the PowerStop rear calipers, and they leaked from the ebrake bracket bolt right out of the box. Same issue as listed in this thread. First non-junkyard part I've gotten in forever and it failed.

From the manufacturer:

"This no-questions-asked, 60 day warranty must be facilitated by the authorized PowerStop retailer. PowerStop LLC warrants this product to be free from defects and poor workmanship for 3 years from the purchase date or 36,000 miles of use, whichever occurs first.
Brake Upgrade Kits for Sport, Utility & Daily Driving | PowerStop Brakes › warra...
Warranty - PowerStop Brakes"

Yep, the new ones are showing up Wednesday, but my confidence in them is low. This was a complete and instant loss of pressure from just bleeding them.

Yep, the new ones are showing up Wednesday, but my confidence in them is low. This was a complete and instant loss of pressure from just bleeding them.
I've got power stop on mine and have had no issues yet

Members online

No members online now.
Back