HELP Troubleshooting a 2006 LS problem.

Connor K

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I’m looking into purchasing a 2006 LS but it makes a noise only during cold starts. Power steering pump was replaced by dealership but they still didn’t figure it out. I am not much of a mechanical guy so I’d appreciate help. It doesn't sound much like a timing chain/cam related issue. Has anyone experienced this with an LS?
Listen closely.

Alternator?
Idler or tensioner pulley?
Water pump?
Same if AC on or off?
Will they take the accessory belt off and start it (only run for a few seconds)?

I would do the belt also as this could eliminate it bring a internal engine problem.

Belt Tensioner. Diagnose using a stethoscope or stethoscopic long screwdriver held against your ear (CAREFULLY).

Given the age of the car and the sound, I have to agree that it sounds like either the idler pully or tensionor. If it were me I (and I just did it about two days ago on my 06 LS) would change out both the idler and the tensionor. They both or fairly inexpensive and it gives you a peace of mind to know that is one less thing to cause any issues. Hope this helps.

...If it were me I (and I just did it about two days ago on my 06 LS) would change out both the idler and the tensionor. ...

You would do that on a car that you don't own, were only looking to see if you wanted to buy it? That seems a little extreme. I wonder if they would even let him do that?

You would do that on a car that you don't own, were only looking to see if you wanted to buy it? That seems a little extreme. I wonder if they would even let him do that?

Just suggesting if he buys it with the noise.

I'd say that noise is the belt tensioner as well and thus, not an "expensive" noise. The replacement parts are less than a hundred bucks so maybe you can use that to your advantage if they'll lower the price of the car a few hundred bucks.

It sounds like a bearing going out. Remove sepentine belt and feel bearings for roughness, dragging, sloppy, etc.

Don't worry about it. My 04 Sport had it from 21k when bought used. At 480+ still there. If driven every, the rattle time decreases some. The intake cams are hydrualicly controlled and the devices are on top the head. Could do this. An Amsoil by-pass filter to super clean the engine oil & an Accusump accumuator to prevent no oil pressure start condition. The only place on the whole car for the three quart is between the rear speaker under the back glass. Used a mock-up all over the car to find that location.

try this: Oil Additives - Nanotech Industrial Solutions
AC-1000 Gasoline engine oil additive. Used it at 253k when the valve train was to begin to rattle. Place 12oz to 6.5 quarts with three minutes of idle time the rattle ceased and haven't heard it since.
Steve

20200913_100305.jpg

20200719_174506.jpg

That really sounds like either the belt tensioner or idler pulley. Heard that noise before on my old Crown Vic.
replaced both and a new belt and all was right with the world.

Hi everyone. Matt here. I've been coming to this forum for years. Never registered to post anything but you guys have all helped me to keep my 06 ls running. I had to post for this one though. I had the same problem with my ls. And the noise went away when I changed the trans fluid and filter. That noise is coming from the trans.

Members online

No members online now.
Back