Hid halogen. Headlight

George Catalano

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys what's up.

First let me say I'm starting to understand the etiquette of the site. So I'm sure there's threads that answer my question.

I need quick answers though. I have 2 options.

I can get HID headlights or halogen headlights. I keep seeing conversion kits. Does that mean I can still use the halogen headlight. Or am I going to have to switch to HID anyway If so. I think I'd like to keep halogen headlight and run the conversion kit just in case I can't get a xenon for a couple days.

Am I correct or should I just get the HID headlights

I'll pull the post after response to clear the site of useless posts. I only have a half hr. To decide about the HID lights

Still confused about what you are asking...

The gen II LS had halogen headlights standard, and HID optional. The reflectors inside the assemblies are different, so you can't just convert a halogen headlight assembly to HID. (Plenty of people do it, but it is illegal. The light goes to the wrong places, so it does not improve your vision, and it blinds on-coming traffic.)

If you have a 1st gen, 2nd gen headlights will not fit correctly without modifications to the car.

Thanks so much I have a 2003 and it has non-HID headlights. So the halogen headlamp with HID conversion will basically be obnoxious but will work

And I'm glad you mentioned light output because that's the original reason I wanted new headlamps was to see Not interested in colors More that the light would travel further

Thanks joe I've already done a couple things to the car. and your input is always on point

So really just get the HID and keep an extra bulb?

Thank you Joe,
What type of modification will be needed? I have a 2005 LSE Sport with halogen lights and will try to get the HID headlight assembly for each side from eBay.

Thank you Joe,
What type of modification will be needed? I have a 2005 LSE Sport with halogen lights and will try to get the HID headlight assembly for each side from eBay.

When you try to plug the connector into the headlight assembly, it won't go in. Look carefully at it and you will see that there is one keying ridge on it that interferes with it. Cut or grind that one off, and you will be good to go.

Hi joegr,
Got a pair of HID headlight assemblies from eBay. Put them on today. They work great after grinding the ridge down like you said. Thank you!

7054C579-3522-429B-BD33-5ECC4EE3E6EC.jpeg

I have a question for whomever I have 2004 sport8,How can I tell what head lights HID or Halogen

HID Bulb is D2R
Halogen is H11
You should be able to tell by just looking at them when on. The HID are much whiter light, but at first when you turn them on they are a shade of blue for a few seconds while they warm up. Or you can take a look to see which bulbs are in the low beam of the headlight assembly.

HID Bulb is D2R
Halogen is H11
You should be able to tell by just looking at them when on. The HID are much whiter light, but at first when you turn them on they are a shade of blue for a few seconds while they warm up. Or you can take a look to see which bulbs are in the low beam of the headlight assembly.
Thanks Appreciate that.

Typically, the HID assemblies have a yellow warning sticker on top, and the halogen ones do not. Note that HID is stamped into the plastic on both the HID ones and the Halogen ones.
HID assemblies have a cover screwed onto the bottoms of the assemblies, the halogen ones are missing that cover.
s-l500.jpg

HID - yellow warning sticker on top
s-l1600.jpg

HID - cover on bottom
s-l1600.jpg

Halogen - no cover on bottom

Gen 2 has two different caps over the front of the low beam bulb. If it's a smooth spherical shape, it's a H11 halogen housing. If its more like a octagonal disco ball, it's D2R HID. That makes it a little easier to ID lights in junkyards and rules out aftermarket HID bulbs.

Note that all gen 1 has a faceted pentagonal shape and all are 9006 halogen.

HID
s-l1600.jpg

Halogen
s-l1600.jpg

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to buy the HID bulb and which color (temperature) you are running ?

I’m using the 4700K on my 2005 LSE in the picture. I would stick with name brands for reliability (Philips/Sylvania/Osram). They are a little pricier though. You get the best deals on Amazon, but you can find the DR2 bulbs at most auto parts store but they’ll be highest price unless you get on sale.

2006 LS - switching halogen to hid assemblies.
ls2.JPG
Before I cut or grind anything I want to make sure I am looking in the correct place. I assume I am grinding down one of both of the ridges I have circled below ?

Yes. I think it is just one of those two, but I can't really remember for certain.

I just did mine on my 2005 LSE and I filed down both because it wouldn’t line up. They work great now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back