Question about transmission solenoid.

lincoln_zero

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2004 LS's are prone to bad Transmission solenoids. And the carfax that came with my LS doesn't show this was replaced or worked on. I was looking up online for the part, and found that re-manufactured sell for $170 on ebay.

That leads me to believe this isn't a cheap piece. And I'm also assuming, like everything else, dont go aftermarket on this part. How much am I looked at here if I wanted to replace this part with new FoMoCo part?

New in the US is $255 before shipping.
If your solenoid assembly was causing problems, you'd know it. I can't conceive of any link to your ETC failsafe.

2004 LS's are prone to bad Transmission solenoids. And the carfax that came with my LS doesn't show this was replaced or worked on. I was looking up online for the part, and found that re-manufactured sell for $170 on ebay.

That leads me to believe this isn't a cheap piece. And I'm also assuming, like everything else, dont go aftermarket on this part. How much am I looked at here if I wanted to replace this part with new FoMoCo part?
I agree...Joegr and 04' Sport won't lead you astray...I suggest you find out first if the Tune that was downloaded is legit or non-functional before you start throwing Hail Marys at this ETC Failsafe issue...In one of your other threads I believe I questioned your Tune also ...LZ you have a good looking LS start with the basics and rule out the simple before you start getting into complex components of the Transmission...the reason I say this is because it seems your LS is much happier without the Downloaded Tune compared to many problems when Tune is loaded...

I agree...Joegr and 04' Sport won't lead you astray...I suggest you find out first if the Tune that was downloaded is legit or non-functional before you start throwing Hail Marys at this ETC Failsafe issue...In one of your other threads I believe I questioned your Tune also ...LZ you have a good looking LS start with the basics and rule out the simple before you start getting into complex components of the Transmission...the reason I say this is because it seems your LS is much happier without the Downloaded Tune compared to many problems when Tune is loaded...

Right, I'm prolly biting off more than I can chew. I'll address this later.

I emailed Torrie, waiting for his reply.

Last edited:
Hi I ordered a new solenoid from Tasca Parts online for 2005 LSE V8 and the part number ordered was 9L2Z-7G391-A. The solenoid arrived and the box was Ford Part and the right part number on the box. The problem I’m having is the solenoid had 4L2P-7G391-AA stamped on it. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? I emailed Tasca and they haven’t got back to me yet.

Does the 9L2Z-7G391-A also work on 2003 as well? I had placed an order on FordPartsGiant and they say the one for 2003 is discontinued after I placed my order. Trying to get an OEM one to replace on my 03 LS V8 as it has the funky shift issues and only has 45,650 miles on the car. Was going to have the fluid changed and have this done while the pan is down. I looked over the forum here and I did not see the answer so I hope someone knows the answer to this. I do see the transmission is compatible 2003-2006 but all the people at ford can't give me an answer if the 9L part works 2003-2006. I know this was likely a dumb question but hopefully someone has the answer for sure on this.

Edit:
I did manage to find the 1L2Z-7G391-AG (new and OEM) at transmission shop in Tennessee. They tried to say the 9L2Z-7G391-A will only work on the 2004-2006 version of the 5r55s can anyone confirm this one way or the other for others to know in the future when the old part is not able to be purchased any longer as it's getting close to being that way now as it is.

Last edited:

The problem with the Ebay solenoid packs... is that they aren't actually rebuilt. All they do is "adjust" the individual solenoids. At that point youare just buying a used and worn out part that will fail much earlier than a new solenoid pack.

The problem with the Ebay solenoid packs... is that they aren't actually rebuilt. All they do is "adjust" the individual solenoids. At that point youare just buying a used and worn out part that will fail much earlier than a new solenoid pack.
You're 100% correct a brand new solenoid pack is a MUST!!!!!

Members online

Back