Priming the oil system before starting

jerryg2112

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So this topic was brought up on the Jeep Forum which I belong to. Someone wanted to know if cranking the engine with the gas pedal to the floor would hurt anything. His Jeep wasn't driven daily and sat a while between uses. When starting there is clattering noise from the lifters until the oil pressure builds back up after a few seconds. There is a failsafe that keeps the pcm from supplying gas when the gas pedal is depressed to the floor. Does cranking the motor at a low rpm help or hurt is up for debate. I thought I would try this on the LS and it works. If your car sits for long periods and the clatter of the lifters bothers you give it a try.

So this topic was brought up on the Jeep Forum which I belong to. Someone wanted to know if cranking the engine with the gas pedal to the floor would hurt anything. His Jeep wasn't driven daily and sat a while between uses. When starting there is clattering noise from the lifters until the oil pressure builds back up after a few seconds. There is a failsafe that keeps the pcm from supplying gas when the gas pedal is depressed to the floor. Does cranking the motor at a low rpm help or hurt is up for debate. I thought I would try this on the LS and it works. If your car sits for long periods and the clatter of the lifters bothers you give it a try.
The Lincoln LS/LSE doesn't have Lifters ot has Tappets

The Lincoln LS/LSE doesn't have Lifters ot has Tappets
Thanks for the clarification. I admit I only have a general knowledge of the engine design. After long periods of sitting I like the idea of getting some fresh oil to the top of the motor before it is turning at running rpm. Also an easy way to keep it from starting when you are trying to diagnose something while watching it turn at cranking speed.

Early PCMs had an anti-flood feature where they wouldn't fire the injectors if you held the pedal to the floor. I'm not sure how common that still is.
A better way to do this is pull the fuse or relay for the fuel pump, then crank for ~10 seconds. Pop it back in and fire up. Naturally that can cause it to throw error codes and get a little temperamental.

Members online

Back