Crankshaft Replacement - In Car!

ntdeac

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Risking getting laughed out of the forum here, I know...

Anyways, just wanted to share my progress replacing my crank in-car, which is a pain in the rear end to do. Bear with me though, I'm a young guy without a lift and without money to burn so I decided to figure out *some way* to do this thing.

So here it is, the new (used) crank from eBay being installed in the block. Everything was great until it came time to unhook the transmission from the block. The stinking metal alignment pins were basically seized in there, and it took lots of trial and error to get them knocked out. Eventually I settled on using PB blaster, a propane torch, two looooong socket extensions and a sledge hammer to knock them out from the front of the car, basically at the bumper frame. I have the transmission supported by two regular floor jacks and a ratcheting strap, and another ratcheting strap to pull it away from (and back to) the engine. The whole exhaust from cats back had to be removed, as well as the driveshaft. That dang starter has a stupidly placed bolt right up in a little nook where you have to go by feel to get it out.

WHY would any car manufacturer run a hydraulic cooling fan??? Belt or electric works fine!

Happy to answer any questions and I'd appreciate any tips on getting this thing reassembled!

Also, how much does a shop charge for getting the a/c system up and running again?

IMG_20200901_172529.jpg

IMG_20200901_172548.jpg

Also, how much does a shop charge for getting the a/c system up and running again?
I suggest getting rid of that crap plastic Thermostat housing unit and replace it with the Uro Aluminum Jaguar replacement...buy it on Amazon...you're in there so may as well upgrade...$135 is about average...that was how much I paid to have my AC professionally evacuated and dye put into to check for leaks and then refilled

I suggest getting rid of that crap plastic Thermostat housing unit and replace it with the Uro Aluminum Jaguar replacement...buy it on Amazon...you're in there so may as well upgrade...$135 is about average...that was how much I paid to have my AC professionally evacuated and dye put into to check for leaks and then refilled

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into getting that metal housing. Does any company happen to make metal versions of the other plastic cooling parts?

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into getting that metal housing. Does any company happen to make metal versions of the other plastic cooling parts?
You can get a aluminum degas bottle but no eye glass on it yet ...ebay or Amazon

Members online

Back