Today's Advancetrac Problem

Robert Crain

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Driving home from work today and all the appropriate dashboard lights suddenly illuminated informing me that I now have an Advancetrac/ brake issue. Did not notice any driveability issues. Got home ok and my code reader said B1342 ECU defective. No other codes found. The shop manual says to replace the ABS module and then reconfigure the module. Ford Parts Giant has one in stock. Installation looks pretty straight-forward. Can I reconfigure the module myself or does a dealer have to do that? Will a dealer reconfigure a module they didn't install? Will the car operate well enough to get me to the dealer with an unconfigured ABS module?

My 2003 V8 LS is a daily driver with no other major issues. 162K miles.

As always, your input is most appreciated and the reason my car is still on the road. Thanks!

Driving home from work today and all the appropriate dashboard lights suddenly illuminated informing me that I now have an Advancetrac/ brake issue. Did not notice any driveability issues. Got home ok and my code reader said B1342 ECU defective. No other codes found. The shop manual says to replace the ABS module and then reconfigure the module. Ford Parts Giant has one in stock. Installation looks pretty straight-forward. Can I reconfigure the module myself or does a dealer have to do that? Will a dealer reconfigure a module they didn't install? Will the car operate well enough to get me to the dealer with an unconfigured ABS module?

My 2003 V8 LS is a daily driver with no other major issues. 162K miles.

As always, your input is most appreciated and the reason my car is still on the road. Thanks!
I can't imagine you not being able to install the module yourself and then having the shop recalibrate the module for you ...I would think worse case scenario is you wont have ABS or Advancetrak system in the way there ...if your worried about your new module malfunctioning due to installation and then driving it there call a Indy shop and see what they say

I just called my local Ford dealer and they said as long as you have brakes that are working you shouldn't have a problem installing that yourself...FYI they said it should be around $150 dollars to recalibrate the module...good luck

Thanks, AmsterDutch for going the extra mile to help out. Much appreciated!

I think one of the things I'm learning regarding the configuration of the ABS module (and please tell me if I'm wrong) is that it is a three-step process. First, a program like Forscan reads and extracts data from the old module, then the program tells you to install the new module and lastly, the program configures the new module with data it learned from the old module. So I think I'll need to get the Forscan software and learn my way around that before I install a new ABS module.

Does that sound the right approach?

Thanks, AmsterDutch for going the extra mile to help out. Much appreciated!

I think one of the things I'm learning regarding the configuration of the ABS module (and please tell me if I'm wrong) is that it is a three-step process. First, a program like Forscan reads and extracts data from the old module, then the program tells you to install the new module and lastly, the program configures the new module with data it learned from the old module. So I think I'll need to get the Forscan software and learn my way around that before I install a new ABS module.

Does that sound the right approach?
Absolutely! Just make sure the Lincoln LS has that capability with Forscan before you get your Hope's up to much...even so Forscan is a must to have

My approach would be to first disconnect the battery for about 5 minutes, reconnect and see whether the problem comes back.

Members online

Back