oil life %

indust82

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
How does the computer measure it? If it's done by miles then does anyone know what it is set at? Cuz I've changed the oil a few times and i Know it's not even close to 3000.

Sub Q: I'm still running regular oil in it because i have done no performance mods, but was wanting some input on the advantages of a synthetic or semisynth. Thanks guys

Also i just purchased rims on the web and will post some pics some time next week.

oil change

indust82 said:
How does the computer measure it? If it's done by miles then does anyone know what it is set at? Cuz I've changed the oil a few times and i Know it's not even close to 3000.

Sub Q: I'm still running regular oil in it because i have done no performance mods, but was wanting some input on the advantages of a synthetic or semisynth. Thanks guys

Also i just purchased rims on the web and will post some pics some time next week.

After changing the oil did you press and hold the oil reset button 5 seconds ?

His question is it the interval driven off the ECM or tranny or rpm, etc. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know.

indust82 said:

I am not sure on the exact method these cars use,but i know other cars with this feature actually calculate oil changes based on the type of driving the car has been doing since its last oil reminder reset,

ie ...if you do all short trip,barely warmed up runs,it will trip the reminder probably close to 3000 miles,but if you throw in some hiway/extended driving it will lengthen the reminder interval,if you do all highway driving,i know some cars will not trip reminder until likke 7000 miles or even more.

Anyone else know the exact nature of the mark's oil reminder?

Mike

Moes8 said:
indust82 said:
Anyone else know the exact nature of the mark's oil reminder?

From the manual...

Oil Life Warning System (CHANGE OIL SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED)

Normal Operations

The oil life feature uses the oil temperature sensor input, the tachometer input from the ignition control module (ICM), the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) input and clock time to calculate the percentage of oil life left. The oil life will decrease from 100 percent to 0 percent in no more than 12,000 km (7,500 miles) or 6 months. If will reach zero percent sooner under different driving conditions. The percentage of oil life left is the second display in the system check sequence. When oil life left is between five percent and zero percent, the "CHANGE OIL SOON" message will be displayed. When oil life left reaches zero percent, the "OIL CHANGE REQUIRED" message will be displayed.

From the manual. Go figure. Too lazy to go out to the car in the cold, that's for sure. Thanks John for always staying on top of things.

Ahem, if somebody (not you JP) would send me the cd, it would enhance my IQ considerably.

MonsterMark said:
From the manual. Go figure. Too lazy to go out to the car in the cold, that's for sure. Thanks John for always staying on top of things.

Ahem, if somebody (not you JP) would send me the cd, it would enhance my IQ considerably.

Oops....thanx for reminding me....I COMPLETELY forgot about it. I will have them out today. :Beer :N

thanks alot guys....i feel a lil bad that it was in the manual the whole time. Does anyone want to chime in on/ suggest running synthetic in a mark with no mods.

thanks alot guys....i feel a lil bad that it was in the manual the whole time. Does anyone want to chime in on/ suggest running synthetic in a mark with no mods.
I run full syn Mobil 1 5w-30 all time and the trip meter goes by miles for the oil from what I noticed every 100 miles it will lower a few percent until your at 20% is usually when I ran 3000 miles

I think it may count down based on time also.My car sits from November until April
and the percentage remaining goes down.Put it away at 100% and in April it's at around 20%.Car is not started during storage.

I think it may count down based on time also.My car sits from November until April
and the percentage remaining goes down.Put it away at 100% and in April it's at around 20%.Car is not started during storage.
Yeah you are right it’s on a timer , doesn’t actually read what the dip stick may show ....

Members online

No members online now.
Back