'99 Lincoln Continental Refurbishment

I had gone to a local wheel store today to browse wheels and see what can be done. Had gone to RT Tire Co Custom Wheels and Tires, they can re-drill the wheels I am looking at. I'm waiting for a couple more questions answered by the company one important one making sure that these wheels come blank and drilled to my bolt pattern. I'll post more once I get this info.

Here are the wheels I want to get: American Racing Torq Thrust M Chrome

View attachment 828573047

So I got a quote and it came to the total for 4 chrome Torq Thrust M wheels with lug nuts, and custom drilled from the blanks, price includes tax: $1,287.00

I think that's a pretty good deal.

Also I think I'll buy these wheels, then get the front suspension rebuilt which includes an alignment. That way everything is complete and the car will be 100% perfect. That's my plan.

I would like to thank and shout out to RT Tire Co. Custom wheels and tires in Boardman, OH. They can make this happen for any 1995-2002 Lincoln Continentals.

Coming from the era of fins and big chrome grills and bumpers, there is nothing I like than more chrome on a car.
BUT, if I add any more chrome to my '02, like fender lips or wheels it will look like a ghetto wagon.
I like the factory wheels on my car.

Those wheels will look good on your car which is a lighter color than mine.
As for the price, I guess that by today's standards, that is not bad.

Remind me again why they have to be custom drilled. Don't they come with the holes??

Coming from the era of fins and big chrome grills and bumpers, there is nothing I like than more chrome on a car.
BUT, if I add any more chrome to my '02, like fender lips or wheels it will look like a ghetto wagon.
I like the factory wheels on my car.

Those wheels will look good on your car which is a lighter color than mine.
As for the price, I guess that by today's standards, that is not bad.

Remind me again why they have to be custom drilled. Don't they come with the holes??

Exactly they have to be drilled because of no holes. That being said, its custom drilled because they don't make certain wheel styles like this with Continentals bolt pattern. Which is 5 x 4.25 or 5 x 108 mm high positive off-set.

Another thing, I was talking with someone Friday night that knows someone who does original window stickers. I'll be reaching out to this dude soon. Supposedly he can make them look exactly how the window sticker was from the dealership. If this is true I'll have a person who can do an original window sticker for my car. Also anyone who would like there window sticker made for their car can get one.

I'll post more info once I get more information on my end.

I'm looking at replacing my remote key fob. I was looking at Northcoast Keyless: https://northcoastkeyless.com/shop/...memory-2-fcc-id-cwtwb1u311-pn-f8ob-15k601-ba/

Looks to be like a good price, I think. It's a brand new OEM unit with our memory seat options. I'm going to order this soon, possibly toward spring time. I'll do a full report on how to program your keys.

Wanted to post this so you dudes have a source for keyless remotes.

Another thing I'll be purchasing some MAF sensor and throttle body cleaner. Going to clean the MAF sensor and throttle body on the car. I'll have a write up on it in the spring time.

I'm looking at replacing my remote key fob. I was looking at Northcoast Keyless: 1998-2002 Lincoln Continental Key Fob Remote Memory #2 (CWTWB1U311, F8OB-15K601-BA)

Looks to be like a good price, I think. It's a brand new OEM unit with our memory seat options. I'm going to order this soon, possibly toward spring time. I'll do a full report on how to program your keys.

Wanted to post this so you dudes have a source for keyless remotes.

The only thing missing when I bought my '02 Continental was the #2 FOB.
I bought one of ebay for $12.99, that was 3 years ago.
I forget if it was new or used – but it looks new.
And it works perfectly – although, I hardly ever use either of the FOBs.
Like a trained monkey – I use the key to open the door.

When I bought my 2001 Continental back in May 2018 it only came with a Valet key. So I did a lot of research to save some money and get it done right. Ended up buying a pair of brand new key FOBs on Ebay (labeled Mem 1 and Mem 2) for $38 delivered.....didn't want someone else's problems with used fobs. Went to an area True Value Hardware store to have a pair of full function Ignition keys made up. If I recall that was $75 or so. But that beat the alternatives of spending $125-$250 with the dealership, local locksmiths, etc. I detailed all that information in my post from last year. 18 months has flown by......mileage has climbed from 39K to 53K.

Hope everyone is doing good and is safe. What a crazy start for summer with this pandemic. Hopefully will be getting the car on the road soon for summer. Battery is at full charge. Gonna pull the mass air flow sensor and clean it. I'll post a DIY layout for that.

I have a group of car enthusiast dudes, we are thinking of doing a Youtube channel about our car meets, car shows, DIY simple repairs, history of ownership of our vehicles. I'll be taking care of things for 1998-2002 Continentals. We'll see what happens. We'll also have live streams, and live chats. I'll update as we set things up. Definitely will be linking LVC to our channel. Soon as we come up with a name I'll post it.

Also we'll have other makes and models that we'll be talking about and posting vids about too.

I heard about Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray and wanted to give it a shot. I picked it up at the local O'Reilly's for $14.99.

The paint has to be clean and clayed, polished, and sealed for the best results. Spray it on the paint and wipe on, then take a second microfiber cloth and wipe off the excess. If you want to apply a second coat that's good for 12 mo. you have to wait 24 hours for cure time.

Wanted to give you an idea of how this product turned out for your viewing.

Here are my results:

It even shined up the window trim a little bit in this photo:

0530201350a.jpg

I really think it brought out the pearl metallic in the paint a lot better:

0530201350.jpg

0530201349.jpg

UPDATE:

I had gotten a lead on a shop who can build a custom bent 2.5 exhaust on the car. It's called MAC Automotive. They do very good work, so maybe next year I'll take it in for a quote. This year with all this pandemic we need to play it safe for now. I'll let you know the material and how much it costs and even some photos if they let me. If they let me shoot a video that would be even cooler, but I doubt it. We'll see.

UPDATE: On Lincoln Continental Window Sticker.

I had talked with a parts person from a local Ford Dealer at the car meets we have every weekend. He had taken a photo of my vin # with the app to show all the options and features on my car. I should know something possibly next weekend on what can be done to have a nice reproduction window sticker done up.

I'll let you dudes know how it goes.

A couple of months ago I sent for a Marti report on my '02 Conti. It lists all the options, dates, etc.
Turns out it is one of only 29 that year with the same trim/paint. I suspect the "Limited Edition" is the main reason.
Now that I have a one of 29 I can take it to one of the big time TV auctions and ask for $400,000.
mr.jpg

I'm back.

I have done a power steering fluid change on the Continental. I'll show you how I have done the simple procedure.

Here is what you need:

1. Castrol Transmax Mercon V (Make sure you use Mercon V it is Ford specific) & a suction pump like this one from LubriMatic.

0808201518.jpg

2. Place the pump in the power steering assembly (as shown in photo on left) Place the other end in an old water bottle, this is where you'll suck out the old fluid and place in the water bottle.

1106202039-HDR.jpg

3. This photo shows you how dirty the power steering fluid can get. Mine has 81K miles on it. Clean fluid is on the left.

0808201537.jpg

4. As you can see in these Gatorade bottles this shows close to 40 fl. Oz pulled from the power steering. Very dirty. 1 Gatorade bottle is 20 Fl. Oz.

1106202052.jpg

5. This procedure is very simple and is basic maintenance. I've done research and what I concluded is if you do it this way you won't be allowing air getting in the power steering system, creating possible power steering pump issues. This happens when you take off the high pressure lines. I'll continue to do it this way for the sake of simplicity.

***Keep in mind the power steering fluid used is Mercon V Transmission fluid. That is what Ford specs. Don't use power steering fluid, this will cause issues with the whole assembly.***

I had also put a new PCV valve on. I took off the PCV line and shot brake parts cleaner through it to clean out any fluid.

The part # is PCV 243 FRAM FV243

1107201953.jpg

The only thing I have done to my '02 is a minor repair to the console lid.
Previous owner must have leaned his weight on the very edge of the console lid when he got in and out of the car.
This caused the plastic frame of the lid to break into six pieces right along the line where the leather cover is stapled to the underside of the frame.
The lid looked OK, the leather wasn't damaged, but the lid was loose and sagged, and moved around if I put my arm on it.

This annoyance had to go – So,

I super glued all the broken pieces back together, and stretched the leather back in place and spot glued it to the frame, instead of using staples.
I also used a plastic bushing I had lying around to make a tighter hole for the rear lid peg.
The lid is now tight and snaps shut just like new.

So I ended up ordering a Deluxe Marti Report for my car. I should have it in about 14 days or so.

I had to take a photo of the door jam sticker or certification label as its called for them to do extensive research on the car. I'll receive both PDF and print format.

Total cost was $50, good price in my opinion.

I'll post my findings once I have it.

Others looking to have this done or looking for more records of research on their cars go here: Marti Auto Works - Marti Report

I officially got my Marti Report last night. I had found that its 1,038 with my trim codes Ivory parchment exterior with ivory leather. Pretty neat info. The DSO stands for District Sales Office: a region of the country that had responsibility collecting orders from the dealers of that region. It represents how many of that particular body type were sold in that district that model year. My car had been built one day behind schedule. It had been sold at Hempstead Lincoln Mercury Dealer in Long Island, New York, the week of Christmas.

0107212031.jpg

Last edited:
I officially got my Marti Report last night. I had found that its 1,038 with my trim codes Ivory parchment exterior with ivory leather. Pretty neat info. The DSO stands for District Sales Office: a region of the country that had responsibility collecting orders from the dealers of that region. It represents how many of that particular body type were sold in that district that model year. My car had been built one day behind schedule. It had been sold at Hempstead Lincoln Mercury Dealer in Long Island, New York, the week of Christmas.

View attachment 828575133
Hello I am enjoying the thread, have a 99 myself same color, wheels, I have a question on your intermittent brake light not lighting up when you set the e brake, mine is doing the same thing and I was wondering did you ever resolve that, if you mentioned here I did not see it, I am thinking about just hitting mine with some electrical contact cleaner and see if that helps before trying to replace.

20190318_143527.jpg

20190318_143643.jpg

Welcome Carl –
You have a very good looking '99 Conti.
How many miles on the clock??

Can't help you with the e brake problem.
I never used it on my '02 (or on any of the cars I've had over the years).
I'm sure Svets will check in and let you know what he did.

My'02 is sitting in the garage and won't start.
Hopefully it's just a bad starter motor, but could the PATS system, all though the little red light is indicating OK.
Next week I'll have my mechanic go over it.

Again welcome aboard.

Welcome Carl –
You have a very good looking '99 Conti.
How many miles on the clock??

Can't help you with the e brake problem.
I never used it on my '02 (or on any of the cars I've had over the years).
I'm sure Svets will check in and let you know what he did.

My'02 is sitting in the garage and won't start.
Hopefully it's just a bad starter motor, but could the PATS system, all though the little red light is indicating OK.
Next week I'll have my mechanic go over it.

Again welcome aboard.
Thanks, the car just turned 110,000 trans needs attention, getting the 1744 code, will probably replace with a reman here soon, but otherwise is pretty sound. I have been going through it little by little to get it sorted out and cleaned up, it lived in Arizona it's whole life so no rust on the car at all and the paint on these cars holds up so well. Hope you are able to get yours back on the road without to much trouble, let us know what happened.

Members online

Back