04_Sport_LS's Suspension thread

ok, I guess you mean once I source a better isolator and not the one I took off the rear of my LS?

either way, I went ahead and assembled the shocks and springs with the isolator I have. just to see. see the new pictures below. seems the contour matches better when the spring is compressed but I don't think good enough. You?

Even if the contour gets even better with the weight of the car, the tail of the spring keeps popping out almost off the bottom isolator, i think more than what you were mentioning, more than what would seem safe. i even clamped the tail so it would be centered on the isolator as I loosened the compressors. once I unclamped the tail it popped back out.

the top isolator is in perfectly.

20200805_140634.jpg

20200805_140716.jpg

20200805_140724.jpg

20200805_143720.jpg

20200805_143536.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the shock is at full extension. When you go to install the shock... you will have to jack it into place... which will make it shorter... causing the spring to compress more.

Again... here's a pic of mine installed. The suspension is at full droop.

If you go back to the first or 2nd page of this thread... you will see how I jacked the shock into place.

IMG_20200805_151536139.jpg

As far as I know... there is only one size isolator/seat for the LS... and only one size isolator/seat for the base Jaguar S-Type.

Both of those isolators are close enough in measurements that either should work.

As I said before... I did this 100k ago with no issues.

If you install the shock assembly and still have a gap at the isolator... then you have an issue that I never dealt with.

If that happens... then that would go back to questioning the springs you have.

At this point I don't know what else to tell you.

ok... so maybe after all this uncertainty on my part the way it is is just fine?
thanks for the guidance.

Those springs may be the wrong ones after all.

I searched the "Q8ZQA" on the lower left of your spring tag... and that DOES come up for a Jag XF.

On top of that... I did an Ebay search... and it seems the Jag part # for the S-Type rear springs is

XR847221

That doesn't even match the part numbers I gave at the beginning of this thread.

So it seems something has changed since I did my Jag conversion.

Not my fault. I didn't know... and I don't know what's going on now.

This is why I have repeatedly suggested to anyone interested in doing this... to call a Jag dealer and verify the parts.

XR847221 - Google Search

I will now go back to the post where I listed the part numbers... and try to make an edit/disclaimer... but last time I tried editing an old post...It wouldn't let me do it.

Keep in mind the Google parts number search above... is ONLY for the rears. I have NO IDEA at this point what the part numbers would be for the front springs!!!

Nope... it won't let me edit a post that old.

Sooo...

Warning... the part numbers listed in post #25 may now be invalid. If you choose to do the Jag shock and spring conversion... CALL A JAGUAR DEALER TO VERIFY CURRENT PART NUMBERS FOR THE SPRINGS FOR A 2002 JAGUAR S-TYPE !!!

But that one doesn't say front or rear. Im assuming rear... because it lists both engines.

yes that is for the rear as that page shows it is from the "rear suspension" category.

XR847221

That doesn't even match the part numbers I gave at the beginning of this thread.

So it seems something has changed since I did my Jag conversion.

Not my fault. I didn't know... and I don't know what's going on now.

This is why I have repeatedly suggested to anyone interested in doing this... to call a Jag dealer and verify the parts.

:) im not blaming you, not your fault, that's how these "projects" lol go. I think XR811174 is still the right number. XR847221 is for the X-Type too. I did call a Jag dealer the other day. The parts guy was super nice even after I told him it was for a Lincoln LS lol. He sent me this from his system.

Untitled.jpg

I had the same experience with the Jag parts guys too. As long as you tell them what you are trying to do... and what you need... most are happy to help.

So you had me spinning my wheels for nothing... when you knew the part numbers were correct.

Gee thanks. :rolleyes::confused::)

actually, with me it wasn't about which part number was right. maybe that was with someone in another thread? for me it was about if the spring was mislabeled, or somehow changed over the years, or my isolator was different than normal.

on a happier note 2 years ago the front Jag springs, Jag isolators and Bilstiens went together with no issues based on your advice in previous posts/threads, but I got to use Jag isolators, they came with the springs, so it was a slam dunk.

I'll figure this out, or I'll just install it like it is, and see if it goes 100k like yours. in all probability it is fine like that.
but we'll see what I decide. thanks again for the assistance.

Oh... so you are only working on the rears. I thought you still had the fronts to do too.

Did the fronts go together any easier than the rears.

I don't recall having a problem with either... other than the tricky positioning of the spring compressor.

yes, the fronts went together no problem. I did those shocks/springs 2 years ago when I bought all 4 springs from Jag. I was just done with a rebuild of the rest of the fronts: upper and lower control arms, new ball joints in the spindles, tie rods, etc... The front springs from Jag came with the bottom isolators so it was easy.

Last edited:
this isn't directed at you 04_sport. But check out my timing on this project, it is humorous. Look at a post by me, Aug 14 2019, almost 1 year ago. lol I really have been "working" on this for 2 years straight. I purchased the 4 springs from Jag July 7th 2018. lol
Hope I'll be done by Aug 2021!

04_Sport_LS's Suspension thread #113

Last edited:
i was able to source two rear strut-spring assemblies from ebay from a 05 v8 with 178k on it. the seller reports the isolators are intact and the pictures seem to prove this. So I will see if they have different/better fitting isolators for the Jag springs I got. if they are the same fit I will be happy to sell them to a forum member for a bit of a loss.

i almost had a pair from another seller but sadly they messaged me that once they got them off the car they found the springs were snapped. I messaged them back quickly and asked them to sell me just the isolators, or still sell me the whole assembly cheaper. but they said they had already sent them to be crushed. i was upset, crushed, at least they could have waiting for my reply before crushing them. Sadly, a potential set of isolators gone! the sheer mindlessness of it!

Last edited:
Keep in mind also that the top mounting plate has a contour too... so everything has to be "clocked" properly.

Are you planning on doing this yourself? It's very dangerous disassembling and re assembling these. Especially using one of the threaded rod spring compressors. Even the air powered spring compressors can fail. Just because of the danger level... I rate the difficulty level of doing this... at an 8 out of 10... 10 being most difficult.

DON'T use a rental version of the above. You don't know how it's been abused... or how many times.

The last thing you want to do... is widow your wife, and orphan your kids.
Well worth going to a shop that has the proper shop press to install shock absorbers into the Springs ...I couldn't agree more with you 04' Sport ...even rhe best shop presses that are made to do this day they push it to the limit ...talking from experience

I agree, I have done this a number of times and it is dangerous. Both with the shop presses and the rental manual presses. I worked as a "mechanic" on and off throughout my younger years at the shop up the street from where I lived. I'm no ASE certified technician or nothing but I know some of the more dangerous jobs. this one is near the top. not that some guys don't just zip off the top nut and let fly.... (the worst idea out there)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back