What temperature is overheating?? Can we all agree?

BlacksonAudio

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been dealing with trying to lower my ECT to the elusive 198-205 range. Idling at 198 and going as high as 205 while driving. It seems i can’t get any lower than 205 idle after driving and upwards to 231 while driving. My main driving distance is 48 minutes city driving to work. 28 miles. From cold start to park at work i go from 195 to 225-231 depending on outside temperatures. I read in another thread the fan doesn’t kick into jet mode until 230 so am I overheating or just running hotter? What are the normal temperatures??

Did you ever check your radiator's condition? This completely sounds like an inefficient radiator to me. I cannot comment on what temperature overheating is, but if your temp gauge needle is not pointing at 9 o'clock, and is more like 10 or 10:30, you have a cooling issue.

Someone did once post on here some pretty good info on where the gauge was and what speed the fan was at various temperatures.

Did you ever check your radiator's condition? This completely sounds like an inefficient radiator to me. I cannot comment on what temperature overheating is, but if your temp gauge needle is not pointing at 9 o'clock, and is more like 10 or 10:30, you have a cooling issue.
I’m at 9oclock on the dial

Radiator and/or A/C condenser fins could be plugged with crap too... but the 04 shop manual states that the thermostat is fully open at 217 F.

That seems about right at idle if the cooling system is working properly... because I typically get readings of 215-220.

Fan is at low speed at that point too.

Members online

Back