Thoughts and suggestions? Flex sealing a Degas Reservoir?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know this has been brought up before ...just thinking about the cheap aftermarket degas reservoir I bought a while ago ...came across it the other day cleaning the garage...The degas bottle is brand new ...I never knew that Flex Seal came in clear...
"Flex Seal Liquid Clear 1 Gal. Liquid Rubber Sealant Coating (2-Piece)

• Dries to a watertight, flexible rubberized coating
  • Non-hazardous, non-toxic, and nonflammable
  • Brush it, roll it, dip it or pour it for watertight flexible seal"
also thinking about buying 2 gallons and actually dipping the degas bottle in the sealant a few times... I'm going to do this experiment ...I wanna see how the CLEAR SEAL sticks to the plastic and I am sitting in anticipation to see how the green coolant will look in the bottle after the Clear Rubberized Sealant is coated on the Reservoir...I will post pictures and yes I'm easily amused

I can tell you that flex seal does not work on a roof surface that expands in the sun and contracts in the shade, well at least not for more than a month or two...

I can tell you that flex seal does not work on a roof surface that expands in the sun and contracts in the shade, well at least not for more than a month or two...
I can attest to what Joe just said! It didn't even last that long for me on a roof leak. Hell it didn't even seal around the fans on my house either.

Thanks for info
I can attest to what Joe just said! It didn't even last that long for me on a roof leak. Hell it didn't even seal around the fans on my house either.
Thanks for the info Dale won't even waste my time or money since you both can attest the stuff is junk

I brought this up here before, and to my dismay, this is not going to do anything. In fact, it won't stick to the bottle. It's the type of plastic that the bottle is made of. Once the bottle cracks, the shear pressure of the coolant will likely rip through that flex seal. You'd need a super thick coat to prevent that.

But if you're still down to try it, let us know how it goes?

I brought this up here before, and to my dismay, this is not going to do anything. In fact, it won't stick to the bottle. It's the type of plastic that the bottle is made of. Once the bottle cracks, the shear pressure of the coolant will likely rip through that flex seal. You'd need a super thick coat to prevent that.

But if you're still down to try it, let us know how it goes?
Not touching this... shot down in the water...and for good reason with all the bad results of this cheap flex junk

At 200 deg plus, buy new Dorman around $55 in Amazon or China aluminum on Ebay $110. But no level indicator. McMaster-Carr has those. Will post results when done

get the Dorman model, skip the chinese ( they are to thin skinned ), the dorman is thicker plastic in all the right places.

Members online

No members online now.
Back