tps and maf are transmissions

smegun

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
so im here got a new tps put it in made a gasket even give it a little love (hi tac ) start it up suddenly im at 2grand and it wont calm down just at 2gRAND and its 1159 pm ... i got a hurricane on the way so i got to get her in the garage before anyway 2grand and holding i had to turn it off pulled the negative terminal off battery and waited for 30 50 minutes to try again still same had to pull everything and put the old one back in duh ... back to normal got in garage without smaking the water heater like these garages were designed by a moron ive got 2 inches left its a midsize what were they thinking caddilac :/ anyway back to it ... ive been chasing a gremlin our gremlins but which ones ... after looking at the manual word for word it matches my problems the tps and the maf have a lot to with transmissions systems I've been trying to solve a shallow pedal and poor first gear roughness at launch and while wanting to cruise a parking lot but its shifiting ok and at higher speeds is not as noticable i was thinking my clutch pack is fried ... after reading parts of the the workshop man i am replacing the TPS .. p.s its getting long i know ...putting it back together i noticed i could of possibly adjusted the throttle stop and wondering the previous mechanic/ car salesmen screwed up there was stripped screws to the tps had a bugger getting em out dont think he did guy must of gave up and wonder if they just advanced the idle??? i got about a 1/4 inch of threads through at the stopper anyone know a normal point on first gen sport ? ... the other is i got the wrong TPS .... no red light for this no dtc's when doing this job i had a clean slate other than p1000 makes kinda sense although adjuster bolt is stiff and looks originally set with green coloring i didnt move it but i have to go back to the autopart store and ask if they gave me the right part for the sport and or get adjusted here ... ...... to note without starting out at a nominal finger regarding resolution worn or otherwise defective the shift points are probably affected given an improper signal :/ should set a flag :/ ..... out of a window isnt asking too much on our hsw ...i didnt get a trouble light for brake also and was disapointed at that also :/ anyone have to adjust the idle for a new TPS ? or calibrate a special way ?

took the TPS back to the part store and bought a standard motor part another 10 bucks installed and it worked as far as i can tell the RPM s are back to normal cant say for certain but the test drive was a little better .... i cant stand the idea that i got to chalk up a day and cleek to cheap parts ... it will be easier the next time to do but i am still wondering about 2k idle and if i should of just started adjusting the throttle stop as universal

The throttle stop is set at the factory using a fixture. Don't mess with it. It does not set/control idle speed.
2K wasn't idle, it was the car thinking the gas pedal was pressed. Either the TPS was bad, or it was installed incorrectly (there is a slight trick to it - slide it on rotated slightly, then rotate and put the screws in).
1.5K or so cold engine idle is correct and should last for less than a minute. It is an emissions thing, trying to warm the cats quickly. Normal warm idle should be around 750.

sure were on gen 1 there is an adjustment screw but ive taken your advise its a stiff long 8mm ... yea i installed it correctly the range must of been off on the cheap part ... idle air control is the idle if im not mistaken i havent had a problem with that with a ford yet... the ls is a little rich at startup with no oil i dont like ... i want an electric oil pump .. :/ its as it was but i wonder about fuel pressure now and the maf ...someone needs to bag up a set of these sensors out of experience and call it a tuneup kit i kinda recall sensor calibration in the industry as a long and arduous task over given ranges temperature ripple harmonics etc,,,, tech advise on another vehicle with similar TPS is to use feeler gauges and the stop look for the start and stop of continuity on the sensor .. there is a point evidently on some of these TPS that need to be dialed in to start the range like some have oval type mounts to adjust physically ... i kinda like the idea that the one had more range to start with but were thinking electronic and how the program interprets the range but it has to start somewhere

Last edited:

Members online

Back