Ignition coil difference?

Justme63

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I was going to replace my coil packs in my 2001 Continental with the newer ones from my 2000 Continental and the plugs are different. Anyone know why? Arrrg!

Ford is well known for doing this. They have their reasons... be it a winding or resistance/voltage change due to a known issue that the general public doesn't need to be concered with.

They did the same thing with the mid 2000's Escapes and other vehicles.

If you try modding the connectors to make them work... you might fry something else.

Unfortunately... this mesns keeping what you have... in there, or buying all new.

If the ones you have in there are still doing ok... run them till they quit, then replace them.

The best way to keep them working long term... is proper spark plug gap, so re gap or replace the plugs and keep on driving.

Ford is well known for doing this. They have their reasons... be it a winding or resistance/voltage change due to a known issue that the general public doesn't need to be concered with.

They did the same thing with the mid 2000's Escapes and other vehicles.

If you try modding the connectors to make them work... you might fry something else.

Unfortunately... this mesns keeping what you have... in there, or buying all new.

If the ones you have in there are still doing ok... run them till they quit, then replace them.

The best way to keep them working long term... is proper spark plug gap, so re gap or replace the plugs and keep on driving.

Well after pulling a few more coil packs I found 2 that fit. They are all OEM, both styles. My initial problem was a fried coil pack and was hoping to NOT spend $60+ on a new one. Weird stuff, thanks Ford for another Better Idea!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back