Irratic/Unresponsive Shifting, Hunting For Gears, Lazy 2-3 Shift, Intermittent Start Fix/Heads Up

iballew

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to share a 2003 lincoln ls v8 purchased at the salvage auction to possibly help anyone with similar issues in the future. I am sure this topic has been discussed, however, I figured I would share my experience to possibly help anyone keeping these old beauties on the road.

Ever since I purchased the car, I started driving it after repairing body damage. I dealt with an intermittent starting issue, particularly after sitting in the hot Arizona sun for a few hours. Also, I noticed the transmission was sort of lazy and unresponsive at times. I would put the pedal to the metal, only to wait 2-3 seconds for a somewhat clunky downshift. Additionally, when shifting from 2-3, it felt like the transmission would sort of drop into third. It just felt like a worn transmission to me (only 105k on the car). I changed the fluid and both filters on the transmission to no avail. I had also been dealing with a very annoying intermittent crank issue. After doing some reading on the internet, I ended up deciding to replace the neutral safety switch (with the transmission cross member in place I might add). After replacing, all symptoms are gone. It feels like I dropped in a rebuilt transmission. Shifts are firm, no more 2-3 hard shift, and very responsive when I want to have a bit of fun. The fact that a 35 dollar part mounted externally could produce these symptoms baffles me. Also, the vehicle threw no codes whatsoever. Hopefully, this helps anyone with similar issues. Another LS saved from the crusher.

20200721_140338.jpg

ive got a 1st gen and am having a delay from 3rd down to 2nd and when it gets there is seems like it just skips 2nd kind of detrimental to parts i would think over revs like if it was going to throw a rod it would be there i might check further into what your saying since it might be what is called switch bounce like a bad keyboard that has bouncy keys

Thank you !!! I have suggested replacing the DTR, (Digital Transmission Range sensor), a few times on this forum. At one point I was told that the DTR couldn't cause transmission issues that some people were experiencing.

The DTR is an electro-mechanical switch that diverts electrical signals to the PCM and transmission... so they can "talk" to each other.

Anything mechanical will wear over time with enough use. While the DTR is a sealed piece... age , elements and corrosion can cause the seal on the DTR to fail... allowing water inside and causing the electrical contacts to corrode and/or fail. This prevents the proper voltages and signals from doing and going where they should.

At that point the PCM and solenoid pack get "confused" due to "mixed messages".

That's the simple explanation. And yes... I would try changing out a $35 part... before changing out a $350 part, plus the labor, (and fluid/gasket), involved to change a solenoid pack.

While some years of the LS are know to have faulty solenoid packs,
some members here have taken the time and expense of changing the solenoid pack... only to have the same symptoms.

Would this be the same part on a Gen 1 and Gen 2? Also, can anyone provide the part number?

A proper shifter cable adjustment is a good idea when installing a new DTR.
OK, cool thanks! I will let the mechanic know too do that when he changes it. Just adding that to the list of things to do at the same time he drops the gas tank. He won't beat me up on the price for something like that if she is already on the lift.

Don't forget the new rear sway bar bushings. :rolleyes::D
Yep, that is on the list.
Here is what all is being done at the same time
Having the tank dropped and both vapor canisters and the check valve solenoid replaced
Sway bar bushings (cause I forgot to have them changed when I replaced the sway bar)
Replacing all the shocks and springs with Jaguar Springs and the Bilstein b6 shocks on all 4 corners(once I can get them dang spring seats...)
Having the line replaced that goes to the canister under the hood
Having all the spark plugs changed and changing to OEM coils
And then have that sensor replace for peace of mind... Hopefully, that is it for a long time on this car other than the normal maintenance and oil and fluid changes. Other than maybe going ahead and replacing the actuator for the fan as I know that is on borrowed time cause of age.

There is a difference in the inside diameter of the bushings... between the standard suspension and sport suspension. So watch which ones you get.

There is a difference in the inside diameter of the bushings... between the standard suspension and sport suspension. So watch which ones you get.
I replaced it all with moog,delphi and OEM parts. I got the part numbers from the ford place to make sure I was getting the right ones for my car and I have the sport.

I'll take your old Borg Warner coils. :D
I had planned to get them all replaced after they are taken out. I will just have them exchanged one at a time till they are all new again and was planning to keep them in case I ever get a 2nd LS. I do want a Gen 2 at some point once this one is a solid daily driver. It has taken me a long time to get this one completely sorted but when I am done with it, then it will be a solid car for years to come. But the hard part for me on this one is gonna be getting them spring seats. I have some health issues and it's harder for me to go out to the junkyard.

Well I had to try. :) I really am impressed with the BW coils.

Hopefully they are still made in USA.

I feel you on that but they are barely a year old so still hurts the wallet, to say the least. I am just having to get them replaced because of that cowl leak. I don't like how the plugs and such rusted up, so once this passenger side molding comes in I will have the leak stopped and that won't be an issue any longer.

All I did was a Denso boot change with about 75k on them. They're double the miles now.

Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.

Ok... enough with the hijack.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled thread....

ive got a 1st gen and am having a delay from 3rd down to 2nd and when it gets there is seems like it just skips 2nd kind of detrimental to parts i would think over revs like if it was going to throw a rod it would be there i might check further into what your saying since it might be what is called switch bounce like a bad keyboard that has bouncy keys
(Digital Transmission Range sensor lincoln ls - Bing video

So theoretically all of my transmission problems could be due to this small part? How much would you guys think labour would be for a mechanic to replace one?

I have a situation update. Unfortunately, the situation looks grim. I was driving the car on a hot day, it was around 115, and I suddenly lost all forward gear. I threw the hazards on and was getting ready to push the thing off of the road when suddenly, it lurched and went back into gear. I limped the car home, the transmission was banging through the gears. After letting the car sit, I came back out and took it for a drive. I had absolutely no mercy and gave her multiple wide open throttle runs. Guess what? Shifted smoothly, no issues. I have been driving the car for about 2 weeks and have put about 500 miles on it without losing forward gearing\having hard shifts. I have, however, noticed a new issue. Under medium to hard acceleration, it will downshift and feel like the transmission just completely loses pressure until I let off of the throttle. She promptly kicks back into gear afterwards. Again, it feels like the tranny is losing line pressure to me. Its either 2nd or 3rd that has that intermittent issue. Overdrive still works flawlessly. I did start monitoring tranny temp via scan tool. Temp is usually between 190-210 depending on weather.

So after this somewhat disappointing discovery, I of course started reading about the nightmarish issues associated with the 5r55 series transmissions. My next step is to try to get to those pesky servos on the side of the tranny. There is a modified part as I am sure some of you know that will resolve the pressure loss issues associated with worn servo bores. Also, I forgot to mention, the stupid thing is not throwing any codes to give me any sort of lead. These cars are a real pain in the butt, should have stuck to GM haha. Any of you having/have had issues similar to mine? I hope I didn't mislead anyone. I still stand by the fact that I think it shifts a bit better with the new NSS.

Fluid level was checked already. Trans temp was at 130 or so with car running, took out center torx bolt on trans pan as specified by ford. It was actually slightly overfull.

Members online

Back