Great Aftermarket solution for Updated key on the Gen 1 LS

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally, a key that works for the Generation 1 LS that has the remote built-in! I can confirm these work as I bought 2 for my 2001 LS and even the Fob works great. Also, do yourself a favor and pay the $9 for shipping as I got this in 3 days from Taiwan. Also you can haggle them down to around $60 for 2 keys as that is the price I got them to do plus the $9 shipping for FedEx International Priority.

NEW STYLE FLIP KEY REMOTE FOR 00-02 LINCON LS CLICKER CHIP KEYLESS ENTRY FOB TD1 | eBay
109764285_285764925995716_3901454498439930679_n.jpg

109821700_651390542389153_8640860066912702744_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I got a gen 2-chipped key for $20, but had to cut it to fit a gen 1 chip. I'm curious how they changed the layout inside to fit it

Nice. I got a gen 2-chipped key for $20, but had to cut it to fit a gen 1 chip. I'm curious how they changed the layout inside to fit it
All I know is it works and feels like it's decently made! I was worried about it not working when I tried it so I made sure to have a plain jane Ford OEM key as a backup when I attempted this because my car only ever had the one Key since I have owned it. And since you need 2 legit OEM keys I made sure to have a backup plan, to say the least.

Agreed, that's why I have 4 working keys, 4 working fobs, and a handful of chipless "door/trunk only" keys. I wish I had Forscan for the first few, could've saved some hassle

Ironically the silver trim seems like a solid chunk of aluminum, whereas the '14 Fusion Titanium key I have has peeling aluminum foil instead. This key is a mashup of the non-Ti flipkey with a lookalike Ti silver trim. Downside, I lock/unlock both cars as I get in and out of them because the buttons are so easy to push

Oh, also curious if your lock button has the same delayed lockout? Press unlock or trunk, red light blinks once. Press lock, it blinks 4-6 times and won't send a second lock signal soon enough to beep the horn.

Agreed, that's why I have 4 working keys, 4 working fobs, and a handful of chipless "door/trunk only" keys. I wish I had Forscan for the first few, could've saved some hassle

Ironically the silver trim seems like a solid chunk of aluminum, whereas the '14 Fusion Titanium key I have has peeling aluminum foil instead. This key is a mashup of the non-Ti flipkey with a lookalike Ti silver trim. Downside, I lock/unlock both cars as I get in and out of them because the buttons are so easy to push

Oh, also curious if your lock button has the same delayed lockout? Press unlock or trunk, red light blinks once. Press lock, it blinks 4-6 times and won't send a second lock signal soon enough to beep the horn.
It seems to be pretty quick unlike the factory remote that is for sure. I pressed unlock and then immediately pressed lock and didn't seem to get much of a delay at all. And the range seems much better than the factory remote.

Try to get the car to honk the horn on double lock ;) to clarify, I meant the lock button independently has its own delay programmed in on mine

Try to get the car to honk the horn on double lock ;) to clarify, I meant the lock button independently has its own delay programmed in on mine
I did and it honked pretty fast, like less than a second. It honked about the same time I pressed it on the remote and didn't delay. Feels like having a new car again to be honest cause the other remotes got to where they wouldn't even work up close to the car.

Good for you, sucks for me haha. I wonder if it's an older model key thing, or maybe a gen 2 compatible thing. Honks perfectly fine with any other remote I have. It's the status light in the remote that tells me they programmed mine that way. Oh well

Good for you, sucks for me haha. I wonder if it's an older model key thing, or maybe a gen 2 compatible thing. Honks perfectly fine with any other remote I have. It's the status light in the remote that tells me they programmed mine that way. Oh well
If the others work fine just use that as a mechanics key! If the key is not factory-made there is no telling why it's like that other than the person who made it. Might just be a quality control issue or a buggy chip. I had to order new keys as the only one I had was craked and I was worried that it would end up breaking off.

Hi Dale,

I too have only 1 original key and fob. My son made a copy key at Home Depot when he worked there. Are you saying that this copy key won't work programming the new fob whereas a copy key made from a Ford blank would?

Otherwise, that is so cool! I like that the pictures are upside up and that it has the Lincoln logo on the back. But I'll bet it is pretty big though, isn't it? Can you post a picture of it next to a factory fob or key?

Hi Dale,

I too have only 1 original key and fob. My son made a copy key at Home Depot when he worked there. Are you saying that this copy key won't work programming the new fob whereas a copy key made from a Ford blank would?

Otherwise, that is so cool! I like that the pictures are upside up and that it has the Lincoln logo on the back. But I'll bet it is pretty big though, isn't it? Can you post a picture of it next to a factory fob or key?
If you only have one key your gonna need a program like forscan with an ELM 327 device to program the key. You have to program any key you will use on an LS and if you only have one key you have to make 100% sure you have 2 good correct chips before doing it that way. And these keys should work fine as they worked perfectly for me.
Here are more pics
1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Sorry, the pics aren't great my smartphone camera is not the best.
Okay, why isn't a LS Sport with a V6 listed?
I would check with them but I am pretty sure it will work on any LS Gen 1 as there should not be differences on PCM and PATS stuff.

Hi Dale,

I think that what you are saying is that your son cloned a key. If this is true, then it won't work for programming new keys.

Each factory key has a unique encrypted ID. When you program a key to the LS, you don't change anything in the key, what you are really doing is telling the LS to accept the new key's ID as valid to start the car. To program in a new key, you have to have two unique already programmed keys (unless you use a scan tool). The thought here is that you might give someone (valet for example) one of your keys, but probably never two of them. This prevents anyone but you from adding a new key to the car, preventing them from stealing it later.

On the other hand, key cloning does change something in the cloned key. It takes the unique ID from a working key and copies it into a new key. This only works for some aftermarket keys. The IDs in the factory keys can't be changed.
To the car, the cloned key looks just like the other key, so it thinks you only have one working key, so you can't program in more keys.

Of course, the ability to clone keys pretty much negates the whole two keys required programming security. Key cloning didn't exist when that scheme was developed. It came later.

Hi Dale, Hi Joe,

Dale, don't apologize for the picture quality, my flip phone and computer don't even talk to each other. Computer will be replaced, as there other peripherals it won't talk to.

Yes, it looks pretty big, but not as big as the keys from Kia's I have rented.

Joe, thank you for explaining the different technologies of the keys, but it raises one more question. Can I use the original fob in lieu of the original key we did't get when we bought the car?

Mark

Finally, a key that works for the Generation 1 LS that has the remote built-in! I can confirm these work as I bought 2 for my 2001 LS and even the Fob works great. Also, do yourself a favor and pay the $9 for shipping as I got this in 3 days from Taiwan. Also you can haggle them down to around $60 for 2 keys as that is the price I got them to do plus the $9 shipping for FedEx International Priority.

NEW STYLE FLIP KEY REMOTE FOR 00-02 LINCON LS CLICKER CHIP KEYLESS ENTRY FOB TD1 | eBay
View attachment 828574528
View attachment 828574527
That's a awesome solution...thanks for the info Dale...spot on bro

...Joe, thank you for explaining the different technologies of the keys, but it raises one more question. Can I use the original fob in lieu of the original key we did't get when we bought the car?

Mark

I guess I don't really understand the question. Fobs and keys are completely separate and different things. The IDs and security are different. The fobs can only lock, unlock, open trunk, and sound the panic alarm. Only the chip in the key can start the car. Only the chips in the keys count for programming new keys.

Programming new fobs does not require the presence of any previous fobs. That said, when you program a new fob, it erases all the old ones, so you need to program/reprogram all the fobs that you want to work at the same time. Programming fobs for the gen II requires no tools. Programming fobs for the 1st gen requires a tool, such as Forscan.

Thank you Joe, You may have not understood the question, but you answered it like you did.

Mark

I also wanted to let you all know that same seller if you contact him with another style he sells, he can modify it to make it work for you. My wife liked these newer style GT keys so much she asked me to see if he would make them for her Lexus ES300 and he was glad to accommodate the request and it didn't make the price go up! But as I said before pay the $9 extra for the fast shipping and you get it within 2-3 days. (It says 2 but it took 3 for me to get it)

Members online

Back