sport shifter abnormalities

smegun

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
so if i switch from 3rd to 2nd even at below normal or slow speed i get a long delay then excessive revolutions like it skips 2nd and drops right into 1st .... im thinking about changing the torque converter already cleaning the solonoid pack and valve body i think part of the torque converter may be blockn a solonoid or something is electrically wrong ...havent pulled any codes

i dont use the sport shifter but i probably would to downshift otherwise race around a bit or take glide momentum off getting into a tight turn

I'm not as familiar with the first generation... as I am with the 2nd generation... but you mught want to try adjusting your shifter cable underneath the car where it connects with the shifter linkage.

I really don't think there is an issue with the torque converter.

I don't think anything after D5 or D4 changes the cable. I know the +/- position on the Sport trim is just 2 switches under the bezel. I don't know how exactly the base 3/2/1 shifter is setup, but I do know it utilizes the same type of switches so that you can swap between types and flash the pcm to make it work correctly. I assume it disengages the cable in the shifter when you move it over the the right or something

the tied 1 to second thing has me worried like does it even make 2nd naturally second was never that bad especially on a 4 speed he ha ... if its bouncing down to 1st maybe i got a bad FET or somthing in the pcm or possibly a bad solonoid in the pac ?????? i need someone who has a first gen to comment on shifting from 3rd to second on the paddle

3-2 takes longer but not "a long time". 1 or 2 seconds at most. Certainly no free revving here, not even in the occasional 3 or 4 second 3-2 downshift that bangs from something worn out

I drove a 2002 LS 3.9 for 8 years. 3-2 was a small delay, not that bad tbh. But then again, as I mentioned above, a good tune gets the shifts right. First gens have the worst tuning, especially that BS starting in 2nd. A tune changes that and let's you start in first. Shift pressure is upped and it will snap quicker into gear. I ran mine 5 years tuned before selling it.

I would make sure nothing is wrong with the trans before flashing a tune.

there is too many r's when it gets there , like first .....there really is no need to get first ever sport /race .. it probably needs to have a tune alright rubbing clutch pack wrong way off the line as to moderately cruise ....cant make it down to 2nd from third on the paddle ...is tied up ... i got parked in my garage untill i figure that out

heres one from the manual ill have to try and figure in as culprit for rough riders i was always looking at the maf for detents and fuel lean to rich scenarios but here in the manual look what its reminding me of regarding transmission im looking for a new one now

Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor
The intake air temperature (IAT) sensor provides the sequential fuel injection (SFI) system mixture
temperature information. The IAT sensor is used both as a density corrector for air flow calculation and
to proportion cold enrichment fuel flow. The IAT sensor is installed in the air cleaner outlet tube. The
IAT sensor is also used in determining control pressures.

Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor
The mass air flow sensor measures the mass of air flowing into the engine. The MAF sensor output
signal is used by the powertrain control module (PCM) to calculate injector pulse width. For
transmission strategies, the MAF sensor is used to regulate electronic pressure control, shift and
torque converter clutch scheduling.

Transmission Control Switch (TCS)
The transmission control switch (TCS) sends a signal to the powertrain control module (PCM) when
the driver selects the D4 position, canceling operation of 5th (overdrive) gear.
The TCS is located within the range selector assembly (base shifter only).
The PCM uses this signal to control the shift solenoids to disengage/disable 5th gear operation and
activates coast clutch. At the same time, the PCM changes the instrument panel indicator to display
D4.

images (4).jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back