ETC failsafe: P2107/P2106/P2105 - No misfire

My LSE is getting its annual Tune-up Total price for 8 Spectra Coil Over Plugs and 8 NGK G-Power Platinum Alloy Spark plugs $84.87 ...Thank you Amazon Open Box ....will keep you all posted on how the Spectra Brand COPs work out

20200704_102036.jpg

Most of the "coin" type plug gappers that go on a keychain, (found at your local parts stores), have thousandths on one side... and millimeters on the other. It helps alleviate the confusion when converting from inch to that "other" system. :p:D

I don't know about thosr coils Dutch.

OEM or the higher priced Standard Motor Products/Borg Warner Developement coils are the only ones I would recommend.

The BWD's have a lifetime warranty through your local O'Reilly's. My BWD's have been on the LS for 150k... with only a Denso boot change at 180k when I did my valve cover gaskets.

Remember the old saying... "you get what you pay for".

I don't know about thosr coils Dutch.

OEM or the higher priced Standard Motor Products/Borg Warner Developement coils are the only ones I would recommend.

The BWD's have a lifetime warranty through your local O'Reilly's. My BWD's have been on the LS for 150k... with only a Denso boot change at 180k when I did my valve cover gaskets.

Remember the old saying... "you get what you pay for".
Absolutely...the COPs that are in my LS right now are a buffet of different types lol ..no misfires ...just wanna experiment with these Spectra ...if I start having problems I will swap my the existing COPs back in ...here is my gap tool ...old school but seems to work flawless for my plugs and my LSes never have misfires when gapped at 040 1.01mm

20200704_111738.jpg

My "beloved" black LSE... that I have always wanted... :(
Wow! We are Highjacking the hell out of this post :D anyway looks like every damn COP on my LSE (which runs flawless ) has aftermarket COPs on the right side ...even has an old Russian USSR COP lol

20200704_131726.jpg

Just gonna throw a crazy idea out here.

I have a 2004 LS. According to Carfax, no work was done on the solenoid pack on the transmission.

I've noticed it frequently does a hard thump when shifting into reverse.
And the failsafe, it only happens with the tune. And the tune makes my transmission shift hard. Like really hard, I'm squeaking tires between gears 1and2 and sometimes 2and3.

Could my solenoid be bad, and tripping the failsafe due to the aggressiveness of the tune?

I doubt it... but you bring up an interesting point regarding the tune.

Was it loaded directly onto the programmer... or did you receive it as a downloadable file?

If the latter... the file could have been corrupted. Either that... or you got a VERY aggressive tune.

Tires chirping on a 2-3 shift is no bueno on a factory LS transmission.

It wasn't built for that... unless you had it custom built to hold up to that abuse.

Something is going to break if it continues to bang gears that hard.

It's also possible that the shifter cable or DTR' (neutral safety switch), needs adjustment. If the cable or DTR is between values/ranges... then it can cause shifting issues... but I am fairly certain that wouldn't cause a MAF or TB related failsafe... but Joe would know more about that.

But let's stay focused on the first issue... before going off on a transmission tangent.

Humor me for a moment. Can your scanner read live data... with the key on and engine off?

If it can... see if you can test the range of the gas pedal. Try it both pressing on the pedal gradually... and quickly. Do it multiple times. I'm probably way off here, but it seems worth a try.

Probably one of my dumber ideas.:rolleyes:

My tune is from Torrie, pretty reputable guy. It bangs between gears on WOT. Grandma driving, it just feels like a quick shift. I can email him and ask about that.

I wouldn't say the failsafe is related to the TB or MAF, because I don't get any DTCs with the falsafe. So at this point, literally any failing part could be causing the failsafe. We just haven't figured that out yet. Up until now, I have been assuming that the failsafe is related to the misfires.
But is it?

A misfire is just that - missed a fire. It doesn't do damage nor does it throw off timing. So this has me thinking, what if it's something else? An intermittent sensor, or a bad solenoid pack - being pushed to it's limits, I can definitely see it causing an issue. Come to think of it (maybe it's just my head playing games with myself) most fail-safes happen after harsh acceleration right after shifting out of first. It hasn't failsafed if I punch it from a higher speed. At least from what I remember.

I did read online that fail-safes can be caused by transmissions.

Joegr would know a lot more about that bad LS pack since he has a 04 LS. Apparently there was a TSB on it in the states? Joe if you wanna weigh on your thoughts about the solenoid pack causing FailSafe without DTC? Can it be marginal like the coils? Intermittent faults?

Last edited:
Uhhh... actually... YOU are the one that mentioned the solenoid pack in post #88.

Not bashing Torrie... but on occaision he has given out bad tunes.

Sometimes shit happens.

Again... was the tune installed directly on the programmer by Torrie... or was it a file you downloaded to the programmer? yourself???

He sent me the file, and I downloaded it and transferred it to the SCT Xcal 3. I then flashed my car using the Xcal 3.

It is possible that the file was corrupted durning the download.

Try reloading it on your programmer.

It is also possible you got a bad tune. It happens. For the number of years I have been on this forum... I can recall maybe a half dozen times somebody got a bad tune from Torrie. He will make it right if that is the issue.

Ok. So I have read lots about tuners getting offended if you question the tune. Can you recommend to me, how to approach Torrie on this issue so as to not offend him?

I'm not saying you did anything wrong. I'm not necessarily saying Torrie did anything wrong.

I'm saying something might have happened with the file when it was sent to you. I'm saying that something might have happened when you downloaded it to the programmer.

Computers aren't perfect. The screw up too. So does the internet.

Tell him the truth. Tell him the only time it goes into failsafe... is when you are running the tune. Tell him that it's shifting very harshly with the tune. (which was something else you never mentioned until now).

Be nice... tell him the problems you are experiencing... and ask him to look at the file. He may ser a problem with the file and rewrite it... or make a new one.

Beyond that... I think I'm done here.

Well I appreciate all of your help. I will email him. At the same time, I do have the MAF coming in on Tuesday. I'll also still check for an air leak with the seal as you suggested (using carb cleaner). Do it Tuesday when I get the MAF.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions. Will post back Tuesday when I do the work.

Just to Update:

I contacted Torrie. On Monday he sent me some sort of de-tune to try and see if it fail safes. It hasn't yet, so thats good. I will be working with him a bit on this failsafe issue.

Other issue:
I replaced the MAF. Still has a weak startup, and I can still hear 'puffs' in the exhaust, like the sound of misfire, and its only there on initial startup or revving in first 3 minutes of startup. Once it slightly warms up, puffs are gone and idles well and drives fine. No DTC's or misfires according for Forscan mode 6.

To me, it sounds like the spark is weak. So that said:
Can the .93mm gap cause this?
Can a bad harness cause this?
Can a weak alternator cause this?
Can bad fuel injectors cause this?
Can a bad PCM cause this?

nd I can still hear 'puffs' in the exhaust, like the sound of misfire, and its only there on initial startup or revving in first 3 minutes of startup.
Exhaust manifold gasket leak? This is the only thing that comes to mind when you say PUFFS in the exhaust...of course others have said they heard puffs in the exhaust and it turned out this wasn’t an exhaust issue at all. Three days later the guy reported back that the spark plug in cylinder #3 blew out of the head. Is your spark plug going to blow out of your LS's head ....doubt it ...but the point is this could have many different conclusions...the thing that throws me for a loop is ....you report that you're hearing a misfire but no DTC or CEL is appearing ...have you used the "Number Of Misfires Counts" on Forscan Dashboard Live Feed to see what the count actually is if in fact your Misfiring at all?
How To Diagnose Ford Misfire Issues Using Mode $06 | Car OBD Diagnostics, ECU Chip Tuning & Auto Repair Support

Members online

No members online now.
Back