Taking on Water

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this piece under the passenger side of the windshield cowl is called or the part #? It looks like the cabin air box, there was a piece of foam attached that goes against the cowl and of course it disintegrates like everything else on this car resulting in a gaping hole for water to come in. My back coils take on water, the cover over the header rusted and cracked a little also. I doubt a used one will be any better so looking to see if I can find a new one that isnt a couple hundred dollars like the $600 windshield cowl.. Otherwise maybe have to fab something up...

My original cowl to windshield gasket failed which caused a leak and I temporarily fixed it with some gasket market. Lucky was able to score another cowl in great condition off a member here. On top of that the sprayer nozzles are a little loose which also let in a drop of two. The hoses are no longer snug on the fittings either I guess from being stretched over time so the washer fluid squirts out when used. Guessing some new hose or clamps will work..

On the driver side the wiper arm foam seal also went bad. However replacing it really doesn't help because only one side (cowl side) has adhesive. The gasket on the wiper arm that the foam seal presses against became warped over time and on the front side facing the bumper it leaves just enough for water to escape past. It seems there isnt enough force between the two on the front side to form a tight enough seal. So Im thinking I have to use some gasket maker on the gasket side or replace the wiper linkage. Looks like the last one in existence just sold :( NEW OEM Motorcraft Wiper Motor & Linkage WM-675 Lincoln LS 2005 From 03/05 | eBay I already replaced the foam seal which did nothing of course.

Hope to take care of the water issue for good this time..

Inked20200401_152926_LI.jpg

Inked20200401_152947_LI.jpg

Inked20200401_152918_LI.jpg

Inked20200401_151119_LI.jpg

20200401_151019.jpg

Last edited:
What is truck canopy seals??

So I was about to post a similar question. After a year of ownership I finally had to leave the ls outside and in the rain, it freakin poured into the drivers side floor board and actually filled the map pocket on the door. When opening the door, they is water between the door and dash. I'm talking a crap load of water. I was going to ask if any one had a clue. No body damage, I even taped off the drip rail system (gap) between the door and body all the way down the wind shield to no avail.

It has to be coming from the cowl area. This car busts my cojones at every opportunity...ugh! Any experience out there?

A while back I read about a tbs for a gasket or something like that to be applied to the cowl. Pretty sure it was Joegr that mentioned it.

Thanks brothers in LS love/hate...

Last edited:
Canopy foam is just thick adhesive foam...like 1/4 inch thick. Also I just changed out my cowl and windshield bits to the updated 02 version

nghtshd88, did you solve your water in the cabin issue? Like my post above states, I get a flood on the drivers side and it has to be coming from the cowl area.

nghtshd88, did you solve your water in the cabin issue? Like my post above states, I get a flood on the drivers side and it has to be coming from the cowl area.

I never had water in cabin. Only engine bay and still looking for the wiper bracket piece which is unavailable.

A cowl leak would only soak the engine bay. Would check the windshield or door gasket.

Water there is usually a moon roof drain hose that has pulled loose.

Well, you guys were right about the sunroof. I dropped the headliner and found the front two drains completely off the sunroof. I wanted to see the rears so a complete drop was required but they were fine. Each line was secured with small clamps. I blew air into each line ensuring it was clear. Last pic is the clamp I used so I could open it up and not have to pull the rear lines off, just secure them. Haven't tested the fix but I'm praying this was the cause.

What is crazy is how the water got from the sunroof to the floor without soaking the the headliner.

Thanks for your help. Now to figure out the next issue...

IMG_20200617_125303.jpg

IMG_20200617_125401.jpg

IMG_20200617_125409.jpg

IMG_20200617_132855.jpg

IMG_20200617_134214.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back