2000 Lincoln LS 3.9 Connecting Rod Bearings

ntdeac

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking on Terry's Jaguar parts for the bearings (some members here have recommended that site for parts) because I absolutely cannot find them anywhere else on the web. I've read some posts claiming the S-Type 4.0L is practically the same engine as the 3.9L, and that's pretty much what I'm going on here. My question is, does the LS 3.9 have oil holes on the crank journals? I haven't accessed the bottom of the block yet, will do that soon, but I'm about to order them from Terry's Jaguar and the rod bearings available have no oil holes on them.

My engine has intermittent rod knock on idle and definitely knocks as I back off the gas. The thing's been sitting for two years before I bought it in cranks-but-no-start condition, fixed that with timing set replacement and fuel pump replacement. As soon as it started up there came the knocking. Obviously I need to get in there before I know how bad the situation is, but my main question is about the bearings.

Also, the interesting thing is that the 3.0L bearings are all over the internet but the 3.9L ones aren't, while the 3.9 timing set is all over the internet but the 3.0 is nowhere to be found (I have a 3.0 as well).

I believe that the 3.9 block is considered not serviceable and therefore, the field replacement unit is the short block. On the other hand, the 3.0 is a huge chunk of Ford's market and the parts are available to rebuild an engine.

I believe that the 3.9 block is considered not serviceable and therefore, the field replacement unit is the short block. On the other hand, the 3.0 is a huge chunk of Ford's market and the parts are available to rebuild an engine.
That's disappointing. Why Ford would take the time and money to engineer an engine bay as complicated as the first-gen LS and then label it not serviceable is beyond me. But I guess I understand the practical side of it, because man is this thing one tightly packed complicated machine.

Members online

Back