What the heck??? ETC engine fail safe mode

They could, if they fail badly enough and are left long enough. The point is to get the coils that are least likely to fail. (Yes, I know they had a problem with the epoxy to begin with, but they do seem to have solved that now.)
Good to know. For now the coil are brand new, and I have another set, and I'm using my ELM most of the time and look at the codes and graphs often. For now, I'll get the PCM fixed, so I can get it back on the road, again. Gotta love that car lol

So after replacing all 8 coils and plugs, replacing the battery, replacing the front brake pads, replacing the front ABS sensor...............IT IS STILL IN ENGINE FAIL SAFE MODE!!!!!!! I get all the same messages : service parking brake, check transmission.

I am a pretty handy backyard mechanic and work on all of our families many cars and trucks. I don't want to have to take it to a dealer and pay for something I can fix myself. Do I have to get the computer reset at a dealer?

I don't know where this "reset" stuff comes from. You have real problem(s) that must be corrected. Did you ever check the battery voltage with the engine running?
There are diagnostic procedures to follow for the symptoms/codes that you have. If you don't have the tools and skills needed to do these, then you will have to go to someone that does.

The battery voltage was 14 when running.
new code pointing to vehicle speed sensor not working, throttle actuator limited, abs module malfunction, cant complete diagonstics

I am thinking about junking this car.

do you have an obd2 scanner hooked up to your obd port? i know of a few guys who had the cheap ebay special scanners so they can bring up live data while driving and it made the car go into safe mode.

How we fail to closely inspect the ignition coil wiring harness.

Here is an update on my part. I found some resistance between the Negative and Positive pole in the trunk, and it was my Radiator Electric Fan going bad. I Removed it, no more "Low Votage codes", now looking to buy a new fan motor. Yesterday I recieved another PCM from Ebay, plugged it in the car, plugged my ELM327, Did a PATS Module Initialization, and it Started like new ! No More ETC Fail Safe Mode! Need to get it back on the road, but first it needs an Alignment at the shop because I fixed all the tie rods and adjustment bars while it's in a friends garage !

Codes are P2106 and B1342

Warning lights all over and in limp mode.
This thread has given me something to start with.

1) Battery no longer holds a charge so going to get new FOMO. I will check the charge before replacing at the terminal.

2) I have a full set of coils and plugs but only replaced a couple older ones. I'll go in an do all at once with FOMO coils and plugs. Did I see set at 1.0mm gap?

3) Should I pull the throttle body and clean it? Don't know if it was ever done.

2003 v8 with 54k miles.

LOL gotta love the LS.

Engine shakes? Thats the coils
Fail safe? Thats the coils
Throttle body codes? Thats the coils
Misfire? Oh you better believe thats the coils.
XD

And when it actually isn't the coils, its the PCM ... fried by the bad coils... LMAO
LOL, I can't even argue with you. Since I've owned a Lincoln thats all I've heard about... "the coils". I needed this laugh, thank you.

My ETC light came on Friday, and limped to work. I done, this was the straw that broke the camels back. I'm not doing anymore repairs. I bought the car when our twins were at 6 grade camp, there 24yo now so the vehicle has blessed me over the years. If anyone is interested and in the Southern California area send me a message.
Car still runs ETC light hasn't come back on... Yet.

2004 Lincoln LS V6 210K miles

...2004 Lincoln LS V6 210K miles

Sadly, I have to agree with your assessment. I just recently "retired" my 04 at 220K miles. My 06 is at 216K miles, and I think its time is nearing too.

Just had the etc engine fail safe come on I have eBay coils but there virtually brand new only put 1300 miles or so on them I also wish I didn’t read that part that said you could fix a pcm for 170$ when I paid 580 for a brand new one but the engine light never came on at all

Just had the etc engine fail safe come on I have eBay coils but there virtually brand new only put 1300 miles or so on them I also wish I didn’t read that part that said you could fix a pcm for 170$ when I paid 580 for a brand new one but the engine light never came on at all
I had the ETC failsafe a while back, ended up being my abs module went bad. Some internet junkyard wanted 700 bucks for one, I went to a local junkyard and got one for 19$

Members online

No members online now.
Back