Replacing entire door on 2002 LSE V8 ...question?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I need to use my existing door handle and lock and latch?

Last edited:

• 20200326_173901.jpg
    20200326_173840.jpg
    20200326_173855.jpg
  • So far this is what I did to my existing door...the new door is up against the garage wall ...just a shell removed the interior trim panel (screws in the door pull, under a cover; and a couple of screws at the bottom of the panel...the panel itself is held in place by "bullet headed" push pins...carefully but firmly, pull on the panel until they release), and water shield, which allowed access to the lock mechanism. I then removed the door handle from the outside of the door, by removing the two retaining nuts from inside the door (11 MM hex). Then release the actuator rod from the latch assembly by pinching the ears on the plastic retainer that secures the rod to the latch lever. Set aside the handle.

• Next remove the 3 Torx head screws from the door jamb that hold the latch assembly to the door, and also release any clips/clamps the hold the wiring/actuator cable to the door frame, then remove the latch assembly from inside the door.

I would think you just need to swap the lock tumbler, so your key works. Otherwise I think your good. Jelous of the garage..I work out in the laneway

20200327_062702.jpg
20200327_062713.jpg
20200327_062736.jpg

Okay...I dont ser anything in the workshop manual that states there is a lock tumbler...I'm thinking the lock actuator is all one piece with the latch

What joe said. The tumbler is what the key goes in to. It's part of the handle assy. So an easy swap at the point of disassembly your at. The latches etc can all stay. Just make sure you swap over the door control modules as I believe they are married to the vin/programmable.

Nope. Think about it. How would your key insert into the latch assembly from the hole at the door handle?
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

s6x~us~en~file=a0096852.gif~gen~ref.gif

It's #6 on this diagram.

What joe said. The tumbler is what the key goes in to. It's part of the handle assy. So an easy swap at the point of disassembly your at. The latches etc can all stay. Just make sure you swap over the door control modules as I believe they are married to the vin/programmable.
Okay I figured it out ...you both helped me figure it out....Thanks!

Very nice! Just wish that was all I had to do with mine... Just put in new springs and struts in the rear. Still need links and toe arms back there, and in the middle of doing the front left LCA both upper control arms, and springs/struts. Plus putting on my painted calipers and drilled slotted rotors/new fuel filter. What a pain in the ass

Very nice! Just wish that was all I had to do with mine... Just put in new springs and struts in the rear. Still need links and toe arms back there, and in the middle of doing the front left LCA both upper control arms, and springs/struts. Plus putting on my painted calipers and drilled slotted rotors/new fuel filter. What a pain in the ass
It never ends...lol

I did my rear door about a year ago. I have a 2000 and swapped with a door off a 2003. Swapped out ALL the hardware in the door and it looks worked great.

Yours looks great!

20190204_233706.jpg

20190205_153157.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back