Rear Neon Ballast Question

balboa454

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm nearing the completion of my car upgrades. Today I wanted to tackle the neon not working. I disassembled to discover the ballast was a small, white ballast, not the original. Also, both white wires coming from it looked charred and were no longer attached to their appropriate neon wires. It looked to me like they may have actually been on fire at one point when the previous owner had the car.

Has anyone heard of this? I'm hesitant to replace the ballast if the neon itself is shot.

Thanks.

So I'm nearing the completion of my car upgrades. Today I wanted to tackle the neon not working. I disassembled to discover the ballast was a small, white ballast, not the original. Also, both white wires coming from it looked charred and were no longer attached to their appropriate neon wires. It looked to me like they may have actually been on fire at one point when the previous owner had the car.

Has anyone heard of this? I'm hesitant to replace the ballast if the neon itself is shot.

Thanks.
I have had a few of the small white ballast go bad ! They did not short out as yours seems to have done ! My guess would be that wires were pinched between the ballast and the trunk lid causing the wires to chafe! Good Luck , Sonny P.S. Bruce Budnick can furnish New ballast !

Last edited:
I have had a few of the small white ballast go bad ! They did not short out as yours seems to have done ! My guess would be that wire were pinched between the ballast and the trunk lid causing the wires to chafe! Good Luck , Sonny P.S. Bruce Budnick can furnish New ballast !

Thanks! Yes, I purchased a new ballast this morning from Bruce. I will update when I receive it and put it in.

Did you solve your problem with the ballast ?
I apologize that I didn't respond. yes, it's working now. The only problem I have is some moisture got into the light and the neone doesn't light up all the way across.

I have a 98 LSC 63k miles I just bought a week ago with working rear neon..

Is there anything I can do to keep the neon from going out? Is there anything I can do to seal the fixture for the neon to help keep the moisture out? I hear so much about them going out because of the moisture..

Also - I am going to put in a stereo I have in storage that was for my 92 Thunderbird which is long gone - it was custom built for the trunk and it was very powerful. Will a lot of bass cause problems with the neon due to rattling?

Members online

Back