2002 LSE V8 Water Pump Gasket ?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Replacement is going on. Have the old one off and the factory metal gaskets still look in very good shape. Shiny, no corrosion and the black rubber material has no cracks and still seems pliable. So my question is should I re-use these on the new pump or should I go with the paper gaskets included with the pump itself. 125k on the clock

I'd re-use. Paper gaskets?? No way I'd replace modern laminated gaskets with paper.

did you buy your car new?
Nope it has 125,000 ...I Opted to use the paper gasket that came with the water pump ... after posting this I found in my Workshop manual it says to discard the used gasket ...of course I kept it just in case the paper gasket leaks/leaked...so far so good the paper gasket is doing great...it's funny the MotorCraft Water Pump comes with a plastic Propeller and a metal gasket...the new Water Pump I got came with a metal propeller and a paper gasket...

i had a water pump leak on my '00. ordered a new gasket; got the steel one and it did not fit. i made my own and mounted the old pump w/it and never looked back.

i had a water pump leak on my '00. ordered a new gasket; got the steel one and it did not fit. i made my own and mounted the old pump w/it and never looked back.
I have variety pack gasket sheets from a parts store ...I've used them on my custom cold air intake on my LSE and they work great also...sometimes your own engineering remedies work 1000 times better than OEM

I get pissed whenever I tear into something and find a paper gasket. They take so much finesse to remove, due to the almost exclusive aluminum parts that can be marred pretty easily with one mispositioned cleaning tool. That's what I love about the LS V6, thick framed gaskets with re-usable silicone sealing edges that never get stuck on and just pop apart. My subie uses paper gaskets on the intake to head ports, and those almost never come off easily. Again, it's easy to mar the aluminum sealing surface with cleaning tools. My machine shop buddy taught me to stand a razor blade at 90 degrees to the surface and move side to side to clean off residue. Sometimes, I might not square it properly and it ends up acting like a planer and makes a mini bevel at the edge of the surface I am cleaning. Anyway, cool story! Did you use any spray a gasket tacky stuff on that gasket, or a thin film of silicone, or did you leave it dry? Glad you're back to pumping coolant again!

For what is worth, I had replaced the water multiple pump times and wasn't convinced the rubber venier metal gasket was absolutely water tight. A patterned 1/16" viton rubber sheet has worked out nicely. Plus it can be reused for the next one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back