Backup Camera Install on a 98 Mark VIII

About a year ago I put one on my 97. Like yours, mine has additional lighting on the camera and I got this one specifically because the cam head can be turned out 45 degrees so I could mount it under the roof of the plate recess. I ran the wires threw the hole under there by the plate light bulb fixture. You will have to remove the trunk sill plate and pull back the carpet that is on the wall of the trunk below the latch. Drill a hole from where the plate light is threw to the inside of the trunk to the left of the trunk latch. Tape you cam wire to a piece of stiff wire and fish it threw to the hollow channel in the metal trunk bridging wall and run it to the back up wire. There are 2 wires in the harness the tail light harness plugs into that are the same color. one of them is not the back up light so make sure you tie into the correct one.... don't ask how I know. Use some caulk or RV silicon to seal your wire of course. The mounting screw nuts are basic fender clip sheet metal type nuts that are clipped over the rubber lip that forms the hole for the plate light.
VO7gsK5l.jpg

Most of the work is running the cam wire up to the head unit by pulling the door sill plate and wire fishing it up to the head unit via under the driver's foot carpet. Good luck with it.

Members online

Back