Trunk sound matt insulation vs 2.5 Dual Exht. drone

xtriggerman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
We all have a different idea of what our cars should sound like since its a split between motor head madness and fall asleep Lincoln quiet. I had posted a how to on modifying your intake into a cold air intake with dual intake ports and that clearly broke the OEM silence barrier. The car had its stock single exhaust at that time and had a great velvety vacuum sound under the hood with any kind of throttle after that mod. Then After the Trubenz dual exhaust mod, I lost the intake sound to exhaust note entirely. The Flowmaster 50's chambered mufflers still had some low speed drone that I wanted to reduce so I insulated the trunk with 3/8ths thick sound matt foam insulation. I did every panel expect the rear deck, Even the trunk lid. All that work did like 10 percent off the drone so I pulled the rear seat out and that lets you get the rear deck carpet board to slide forward & out. I stuck the foam sound matt to the bottom side of the carpeted deck, put 3 venting slots in the foam and fit it back over the OEM insulation matt. This added maybe another 8 or 10 percent of drone dampening to the car. The most welcome result was now when I get on it a bit, I can make out some of the intake vacuuming sound. I'd say its about a 30/70 split in vacuum and exhaust note. Its very enticing to get into the throttle a bit here and there, yet only ever so slight an exhaust note up at 75-80 cruising speed. 60mph still has a drone that needs more music volume to sort of cover it up. It took 3 of these rolls to do the entire trunk and deck lid with a little left over but I'm happy with the results. I noticed that dropping out of 4th to 3rd at 60 took most of the drone out at 60 but with more under the hood rpm engine noise. So, the lower geared cars may not suffer from as much mid speed drone as my base car with .302's. Now its only lacking a chip to optimize the intake & exhaust mods...... & maybe a gearing swap. 160"x 39" Sound Deadener Heat Insulation Barrier Thermal Mat Adhesive Foil Layer | eBay

Members online

Back