Power Steering Concern 1998 Mark VIII

60ridesagain

LVC Member
Reaction score
1998 LSC with 96,600 miles. Has issues: cursed blend door, driver seat track and multi-switch, other than that it has been a very good vehicle. Bought it in July 2011 with 68,000...anyhow.

Monday morning I started it and there was an odd growl, let it warm up and went to leave for an appointment - steering was stiff either side. Shut it off, checked fluid level and it was fine. Running late so I took the truck. Returned home no leaks. Had other things to take care of and let it sit. Ambient at that time was mid-50's.

Today it is in the 70's (Phoenix winter). Looked at it again, started it to move it, no problem, steering is fine. Drove it around the block, no problem. Question is: I have never known any PS system to be temperature sensitive - is it even possible? Can the pump fail intermittently? What effect does the pressure switch have on the system if it fails ?

Maybe someone else has endured a similar trouble.

1998 LSC with 96,600 miles. Has issues: cursed blend door, driver seat track and multi-switch, other than that it has been a very good vehicle. Bought it in July 2011 with 68,000...anyhow.

Monday morning I started it and there was an odd growl, let it warm up and went to leave for an appointment - steering was stiff either side. Shut it off, checked fluid level and it was fine. Running late so I took the truck. Returned home no leaks. Had other things to take care of and let it sit. Ambient at that time was mid-50's.

Today it is in the 70's (Phoenix winter). Looked at it again, started it to move it, no problem, steering is fine. Drove it around the block, no problem. Question is: I have never known any PS system to be temperature sensitive - is it even possible? Can the pump fail intermittently? What effect does the pressure switch have on the system if it fails ?

Maybe someone else has endured a similar trouble.
could be water in the fluid IF the temp dropped below freezing. if not, suspect the solenoid valve on the pump that controls variable rate is bypassing fluid.

Members online

Back