Starter Replacement Question

Robert Crain

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The starter in my 03 v8 just died. I did the diagnostics today to confirm it was the starter and not the relay, fuses, etc. My question is how difficult is the removal and installation process for a driveway caliper mechanic lying on his back with the car on jack stands? What’s your experience with this particular repair? I’m trying to take care of as many mechanical repairs as possible to save money. I don’t however, want to start something I can’t finish. Your input is appreciated. Thanks. Rob

The starter in my 03 v8 just died. I did the diagnostics today to confirm it was the starter and not the relay, fuses, etc. My question is how difficult is the removal and installation process for a driveway caliper mechanic lying on his back with the car on jack stands? What’s your experience with this particular repair? I’m trying to take care of as many mechanical repairs as possible to save money. I don’t however, want to start something I can’t finish. Your input is appreciated. Thanks. Rob
s6x~us~en~file=a0066256.gif~gen~ref.gif

Item Part Number Description
1 11N087 Starter motor solenoid terminal cover
2 N800156 Starter solenoid wire nut
3 12B637 Starter solenoid wire
4 N800136 Starter solenoid battery cable nut
5 14463 Starter solenoid battery cable
6 N500617 Ground cable nut
7 — Ground cable (part of 14463)
8 W705359 Starter motor stud bolt
9 W704666 Starter motor bolt
10 1100 Starter motor

Removal and Installation

s6x~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif
WARNING: When carrying out maintenance on the starting system, be aware that the heavy gauge leads are connected directly to the battery. Make sure the protective caps are in place when maintenance is completed.

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
  1. Remove the starter solenoid terminal cover.
  1. Remove the starter solenoid wire nut and position aside the starter solenoid wire.
    • To install, tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).
  1. Remove the starter solenoid battery cable nut and position the starter solenoid battery cable aside.
    • To install, tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).
  1. Remove the ground cable nut and position the ground cable aside.
    • To install, tighten to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
  1. Remove the starter motor stud bolt, bolt and the starter motor.
    • Install the starter motor upper bolt and lower stud bolts hand-tight. Tighten the upper bolt to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft), followed by the lower stud bolts to 25 Nm (18 lb-ft).
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Thanks AmsterDutch. That’s a lot more detail than even my 03 Lincoln shop manual provides. Has anyone here done this repair? What was your experience? Did any special tool or hack make this job go better? Thanks! Rob

Thanks AmsterDutch. That’s a lot more detail than even my 03 Lincoln shop manual provides. Has anyone here done this repair? What was your experience? Did any special tool or hack make this job go better? Thanks! Rob

I replaced my starter a few ago, was not difficult. Just make sure the front of the car in high in the air and use jackstands. You will have to wiggle the starter to get it out and back in, pretty tight under there. I cannot remember if I have to remove anything else, sorry. Took about two hours, I was very careful and took several breaks. Good luck.

Easy job. Might run a ground weld wire type with ( 18 - 19 ft) solderes copper ends from the battery to the lower starter bolt for max current to starter. Use fine grit sand paper to remove the oxidation off the electrical cables ends the replacement starter can be disassembled to provide better grease like the moly to the planetary gears within the starter for longevity. One observation, the heat off the exhaust cover degraded the plastic insulator on on the solenoid on my original starter at 471k. It still work but not to snappy like the used one I got and did above work with like new operation. Clean everything and use low strength thread locker on the bolts.
The extra work is worth it!

Members online

Back