96-98 Lincoln Mark VIII Years

PNWLINCOLN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey boys and girls been a long time since I have visited here, life and family have taken up a lot of time. But all that being said I have own a couple LS in the past but now Im looking at the Mark VIII and there are a couple here locally anywhere from $1000 - $2500 that need some work and Im curious which one's I should be more serious about, I know throughout the years they have changed but what are your guys thoughts on the 96 or the 98's. Thanks in advance! I also if this has been discussed before could someone point me to the thread!

I did a lot of reading on the same issue and came up with a late 97 or 98. #1, the late build 97 n 98 had a trans upgrade. #2, no plug wires or distributor, has contemporary CDI spark plug system. I think those are the biggest drive train differences. The rest is looks. My ultimate pick would be a 98 LSC with no sun roof. I'v seen a number of pictures on sun roof cars with trashed interiors because of leaks. New sun roof gaskets are NA. I'm pretty happy with my 97 base.

I did a lot of reading on the same issue and came up with a late 97 or 98. #1, the late build 97 n 98 had a trans upgrade. #2, no plug wires or distributor, has contemporary CDI spark plug system. I think those are the biggest drive train differences. The rest is looks. My ultimate pick would be a 98 LSC with no sun roof. I'v seen a number of pictures on sun roof cars with trashed interiors because of leaks. New sun roof gaskets are NA. I'm pretty happy with my 97 base.

Thanks for the reply, yeah 98 LSC would be the ultimate IMO as well if I have an opportunity to pick up a 97-98 any of them I wont be to picky!

Hello, good luck on your purchase, which ever year you choose. I have 1995 and I love this car! I have owned it for 22 years. There is a place in my hometown called "Lincolnland," they have been my savior for parts. They always tell me about the difficulties owners face acquiring parts for 1997&1998 models. 1993-to-1996 models are very similar, you might want to keep this in mind during your search.

There are some 96 parts that are even more rare, such as the VCRM, ECU. Like Tony, I also have a 95. Been driving it since 2010. I'm still on air because right before the Gen 2 Motorcraft front air shocks were obsolete, I bought a pair. Has new air springs on the rear. Jmod has been done. I'm currently at 159K and nothing major so far.
As for the 97-98, they do have a cleaner looking engine bay since there are no plug wires. Also, the IAC is much much more accessible on a Gen 2, and the TPS. Some say Gen 2 interior is more comfortable than Gen 1 but I don't have any complaints with comfort. I took the black out of my 94 and put it into the 95, but left the graphite dash and console. Good luck on whatever you choose.
20140412_145946.jpg

Hello "Nolimit95," your interior is sick!! Beautiful job with your color choices. Do you have any exterior photo's of your 95 Mark VIII? BTW, I am still riding on air also, I love the ride that the air struts provide. Once drove a 97 with the coil spring conversion, the ride was fine, but I prefer air. Once again, beautiful interior!!

Thank you both! I do have exterior pics. My son (17) takes them all the time. Some other things I had bought for it before they sold out were headlight housings, side-parking light housings and a new grille. Most of it came from Tasca Parts
20140410_175524.jpg
20140503_181142.jpg
20170905_161659.jpg
20150505_235518.jpg

Damn! I am so jealous! You have the Octastar wheels! Totally sick!! Beautiful Mark VIII!! Did you replace the rear window seal? No waffling.

Members online

No members online now.
Back