Bad Fuel Pump - Cost?

skizot722

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Fuel pump gave out on my 02 V8 the other day and had to have it towed to the dealership. They called me with a quote of $1390 today! Claimed that the pump itself is $600 and then the rest in labor, because they have to drop the tank. I thought these cars were designed such that the pump could be replaced from inside the car, after removing the rear seats? I know they call them stealerships for a reason (car broke down outside of my town, so didn't have the option of towing it to local mechanic), but this seems crazy excessive even by their standards.

Fuel pump gave out on my 02 V8 the other day and had to have it towed to the dealership. They called me with a quote of $1390 today! Claimed that the pump itself is $600 and then the rest in labor, because they have to drop the tank. I thought these cars were designed such that the pump could be replaced from inside the car, after removing the rear seats? I know they call them stealerships for a reason (car broke down outside of my town, so didn't have the option of towing it to local mechanic), but this seems crazy excessive even by their standards.
They are trying to rip you off for sure in this case. They are not hard at all to change long as you have the correct tools. The backseat lifts up and there is a mat over the seat that comes up and then there is a cover on each side. If my memory is correct it's the one on the passengers side of the car. The pump is around $400 shipped and if you look around you might find it cheaper. I bought aftermarket for mine and have not had any trouble so far with it. But to me it's one of them things that is easy enough to change if a problem occurs and the lifetime warranty will at least get me a new one till I can get a OEM one if it starts to become a recurring problem. Just make sure you buy a new gasket for the OEM one as I am pretty sure it does not come with it. I know the aftermarket Spectra one came with it for me. Just be careful not to screw up the rim that holds the fuel pump down! If you get the correct tool to do this job with you should honestly not have any problems. Also be patient with the fuel lines when removing them they will break if you are not careful.
YW4Z-9H307-BA - Ford Parts Giant

Last edited:
Also this is the tool I used to remove the rim. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QL6HXJI
You might even have the option at your local autozone to rent the tool for around $60 and return it when done for a full refund.

I would honestly buy a spectra pump and change it out in the parking lot before I ever paid them that much to do that simple of a repair. Even if you can't get that correct tool I am sure you can come up with other ways to remove that rim as I am sure there are many suggestions on this site for that task.

Thank you for the info, DaleGrib. I just called a shop down the street and they quoted me $361.30. I would just have it towed back to my house, but the roadside assistance maxes at 15 miles, and I'm further out than that. Given that it's an hour of work for a competent shop to replace it from the top, this sounds like a pretty solid price.

Thank you for the info, DaleGrib. I just called a shop down the street and they quoted me $361.30. I would just have it towed back to my house, but the roadside assistance maxes at 15 miles, and I'm further out than that. Given that it's an hour of work for a competent shop to replace it from the top, this sounds like a pretty solid price.
Yeah that is much better than what the other idiots were going to charge. Do you know what brand pump they are going to use?

Yeah that is much better than what the other idiots were going to charge. Do you know what brand pump they are going to use?

They didn't say, and I forgot to ask. Are there certain brands to stay away from? I usually go OEM for my replacement parts, but this car is getting very expensive to maintain. To the point that if an aftermarket pump can last me another 40-50k miles, I'm fine with that.

They didn't say, and I forgot to ask. Are there certain brands to stay away from?
I myself am not sure..... But I know many here will say to use the OEM one. But in your situation right now it seems to be impossible to get one that fast, other than the crazy priced one at the stealership.

Last edited:
Got the car back yesterday. Starts great. No more premature or long starts. I noticed on the receipt that they used part number SP1134. Looked that up, and it seems to be just the pump itself - no casing or float arm. I suppose that's fine, but seems they would have had to take the old module apart and replaced just the pump portion of it? Seems like more work.

Got the car back yesterday. Starts great. No more premature or long starts. I noticed on the receipt that they used part number SP1134. Looked that up, and it seems to be just the pump itself - no casing or float arm. I suppose that's fine, but seems they would have had to take the old module apart and replaced just the pump portion of it? Seems like more work.
They should have at least also replaced the filter that goes on the pump hopefully they did that. Seems kinda odd they didn't just replace the whole pump cause a new one would have had all the needed stuff if they had got one from Spectra. I have never seen anyone do it this way with just replacing the pump itself in the assembly. But hopefully they used a new filter on the pump but if they didn't charge you for one it's kinda doubtful that they did.

... I suppose that's fine, but seems they would have had to take the old module apart and replaced just the pump portion of it? Seems like more work.

A little (not a lot) more work in exchange for a much lower parts cost...

A little (not a lot) more work in exchange for a much lower parts cost...

True. They charged me $80 for the pump, and it lists for $45. That's not horrible, I've been charged 4x markup on a part before.

They should have at least also replaced the filter that goes on the pump hopefully they did that. Seems kinda odd they didn't just replace the whole pump cause a new one would have had all the needed stuff if they had got one from Spectra. I have never seen anyone do it this way with just replacing the pump itself in the assembly. But hopefully they used a new filter on the pump but if they didn't charge you for one it's kinda doubtful that they did.

That part is Spectra. And it does come with the strainer. So I would hope they replaced it.

True. They charged me $80 for the pump, and it lists for $45. That's not horrible, I've been charged 4x markup on a part before.

That part is Spectra. And it does come with the strainer. So I would hope they replaced it.
Ok then you should be all set! I didn't realize that it came with all that other stuff.

Thanks again for your help guys! Glad to see this forum is still alive after so many years.

Thanks again for your help guys! Glad to see this forum is still alive after so many years.
No problem ! Glad you didn't get bent over the service counter like the Stealership tried to do to you at first.

Haha exactly. I don't understand how what they do isn't criminal. I got this fixed for over $1,000 cheaper than what they wanted. For a simple repair, no less.

My father-in-law had a similar incident with his Prius. It needed a new catalytic converter, and he took it to the local Toyota dealer for an estimate. He'd bought a brand new Camry from them the year before, so he figured they would do him right. They quoted him $2,800! I told him to take it to a local muffler shop here in town, and they did it for $460. What these places do is downright malicious.

Typical dealership BS.

This is why I tell people to don't buy new. Cut dealerships sales, let them starve out. We don't need them.

It's 2020. I can go online and build my own car and have it shipped. What do I need the idiots for to charge mark up and freight? I once upon a time worked for a GM dealership, and i can tell you, there's markup everywhere.

Dealerships are the cancer in the automotive industry.

By cutting dealerships out, there's no markup. Means, no more haggling. What the manufacturer charges dealers is what you pay.

Build online, you can select features, warranty package and what you like. Then you can select delivery or local pickup.

As for maintenance and repairs, mechanics are certified to work on any vehicle. They also charge less by the hour, which means manufacturers would pay out less for warranty work.

Amazing. Dealerships are only here for brand image, and because we as people tolerate them.

The pump is in the pass side
Order thru rockauto 130 for Delphi and 300 for motor craft. If you are mechanically inclined shouldn't take a couple hours if not let them do it ouch though. One observation replaced mine at 420k with the original pump but the input filter ( sock ) was clogged
In a inch on a mile so I replaced the complete pump assembly Delphi unit with like new acceleration.

Not taking up for dealership at all, but one thing id miss if you guys ran them off is getting some hands on time with a car before buying it, a test drive too. I miss my LS... . A friend and I replaced the fuel pump in less than an hour, it's a pretty easy job, and fun to do too.

Keep it running!

Not taking up for dealership at all, but one thing id miss if you guys ran them off is getting some hands on time with a car before buying it!

Manufactures can just have a program you book by appointment, and drive a demo on their lot or rent it for a day for a fee.

People are impatient. They want to up right now, go to the dealer, and drive it NOW! Well, that is reasonable since thats what dealers are for. But if it meant saving $10,000 to buy from the manufacturer, then I'll be patient and book by appointment.

Members online

No members online now.
Back