Headlight switches

Bazil

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Quick question regarding headlight switches. Currently I have gen II headlights on my gen I and was curious about adding a gen II switch so that the low beams would stay on with the high beams. Just visually I see the switches are different so I’m inclined to think there may be a little more than just plugging a gen II switch into the gen I harness. If they aren’t interchangeable, what have some of you guys done to keep the low beams on with the high beams? Thanks!

The headlight switch itself has nothing to do with the low beams being switched off or not when high beams are on. The FEM is what switches them off or not. It may be possible to program the gen I FEM to leave them on, but it might not be able to handle doubling the current running through it. The gen I and gen II FEMs don't speak the same language, so you can't just swap FEMs. While it seems clunky, I think that your most practical solution is to add some relays to do this.

Ok that makes sense, thanks for the info. It’s not a huge deal to have the lows on with the highs, I just figured if it was as easy as changing switches I’d do it. Thanks again for the info!

Bazil

I swapped gen 2 halogen lights onto my gen 1. The beam patterns are drastically different. The gen 1 high is more more of an independent flood beam, whereas the gen 2 focuses the high beam where the low beam doesn't shine. I think there's too much overlap in the foreground to use the gen 1 lows+highs together on the highway. Gen 1 highs just don't have much throw

If you live in the 40mph hills with deer though, I get the need there for more light all over the place

Members online

No members online now.
Back