Rear Wheel Bearing

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well after driving my 2002 LSE V8 for the past few days I can hear a hum still prevailing from the Rear Driver's Side wheel ...took it to another mechanic I know for a second opinion...after test driving it he said it certainly sounds like a bearing that took a shit ...he wants to use a stethoscope on Thursday ...hope this will remedy the situation ...fingers are crossed

My son-in-law runs a small repair garage and has this tool called chassis ears, which allowed me to diagnose a 2 month infant mortality problem on my subaru rear wheel bearing. This tool can process up to 6 channels but comes with 4 channels of ears. The ears consist of a transmitter which attaches to a cable with a rca jack. The cable has a medium sized clamp like a booster cable clamp, with a built-in microphone. It can be clamped to a bolt head in the hub and the transmitter can be anywhere within a couple of feet. The transmitter attaches with a multitude of clamps or velcro strips. On the inside of the car, the base unit has selectors for up to 6 monitors. The base unit has a speaker and a headphone jack. I fitted up my car with 4 channels, one at each wheel. I grabbed my earbuds and hearing protectors and set off. It was instantly confirmed that the 2 month old wheel bearing had died, when I expected that it was time for that bearing's axle mate to be due. The difference in sound was unreal. I was also surprised at how sensitive it is. You could hear the brake rotors rotating and gently brushing the pads. The best part of this tool is that it allows the car to be used in normal driving instead of on a lift, or with a wheel jacked up. Mac tools puts this thing out. It is an amazing tool. MacTools UK | WIRELESS CHASSIS EAR

My son-in-law runs a small repair garage and has this tool called chassis ears, which allowed me to diagnose a 2 month infant mortality problem on my subaru rear wheel bearing. This tool can process up to 6 channels but comes with 4 channels of ears. The ears consist of a transmitter which attaches to a cable with a rca jack. The cable has a medium sized clamp like a booster cable clamp, with a built-in microphone. It can be clamped to a bolt head in the hub and the transmitter can be anywhere within a couple of feet. The transmitter attaches with a multitude of clamps or velcro strips. On the inside of the car, the base unit has selectors for up to 6 monitors. The base unit has a speaker and a headphone jack. I fitted up my car with 4 channels, one at each wheel. I grabbed my earbuds and hearing protectors and set off. It was instantly confirmed that the 2 month old wheel bearing had died, when I expected that it was time for that bearing's axle mate to be due. The difference in sound was unreal. I was also surprised at how sensitive it is. You could hear the brake rotors rotating and gently brushing the pads. The best part of this tool is that it allows the car to be used in normal driving instead of on a lift, or with a wheel jacked up. Mac tools puts this thing out. It is an amazing tool. MacTools UK | WIRELESS CHASSIS EAR
That is amazing! Certain Technology is getting so cool! Thanks for the post...I really like the Mechanic where I initially brought my LS...but I notice when he gets slow or really busy he will lose his attention to details...because of this I made the decision to no longer bring my LS back to him...his loss is my gain ...because my original Mechanic though always busy and I always have to wait a couple weeks to get scheduled has consistency every time I bring him an issue with the car :) Not many of these guy's around anymore ...Thanks again for schooling me on this great tool!

If the tire switch doesn't work and the rear hum remain, the rear spindles which hold the bearings will have to be remove and bearingd press out & new ones pressed in. The nut on the half shaft is torqued to 300 ft. lbs. So a long cheater bar or impact is needed. Could try applying the brakes while removing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back