Extra hp?

use the " live" feed and choose misfires detected you can then see in real time if its misfiring on #8

Just got back from doing this, says no misfire, also says injector 8 has no fault. You can feel an intermitten shiver in the seat until the engine gets up to temp. It is about 10 below here. Dont know what causes it. The coolant temp when going 60 mph is 102 degrees Celsius, or 215 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited:
Just got back from doing this, says no misfire, also says injector 8 has no fault. You can feel an intermitten shiver in the seat until the engine gets up to temp. It is about 10 below here. Dont know what causes it. The coolant temp when going 60 mph is 102 degrees Celsius, or 215 degrees Fahrenheit. You guys were right.
Ummm did you change oil yet and use 5w-20 suggest you start a synthetic High mileage oil sooner than later ...run some 3M Brand gas treatment or redline right before you fill up and wouldn't hurt to through some Octane booster in her and let her fly on some back roads or a major Highway where you can do 75 mph ...burn that old carbon out and see which plugs are weak and failing ...you will get through the winter without a coolant rebuild ...not promising once the hot weather comes she will run at 215F.

Last edited:
With a known good battery in, clear the codes and see if any of the low/high volt codes come back.

B2116 & B2112 - This is probably a short in the circuit for the key lock/unlock switch in the driver's door latch assembly.
B3 CHECK CIRCUITS 31S-AA78 (BK/BU) AND 31S-AA79 (BK/WH) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Disconnect: Driver Door Lock Unit C525.
  • Measure the resistance between the driver door lock unit C525-5, circuit 31S-AA79 (BK/WH), harness side and ground; and between the driver door lock unit C525-7, circuit 31S-AA78 (BK/BU), harness side and ground.

s6x~us~en~file=a0003772.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Are the resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?
B1309 & B1341 -
C4 CHECK CIRCUITS 8-AA10 (WH/BK) AND 8-AA11 (WH/VT) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND
  • Disconnect: DDM C501d.
  • Measure the resistance between the DDM C501d-23, circuit 8-AA10 (WH/BK), harness side and ground; and between the DDM C501d-24, circuit 8-AA11 (WH/VT), harness side and ground.

s6x~us~en~file=a0004129.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Are the resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?
  • C8 CHECK FOR CORRECT DDM OPERATION
    • Disconnect all the DDM connectors.
    • Check for:
      • corrosion
      • pushed-out pins
    • Connect all the DDM connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
    • Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.
    • Is the concern still present?

B1420, B1424, B1416 - (not all the windows)
D1 CHECK THE VOLTAGE TO THE LH REAR OR RH REAR WINDOW CONTROL SWITCH
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Disconnect: Inoperative Rear Window Control Switch C701/C801.
  • Key in ON position.
  • NOTE: Make certain the window lock-out switch is in the UNLOCK position.
  • Measure the voltage between the inoperative rear window control switch C701-3, circuit 7-AJ14 (YE/BU) (LH rear), harness side and ground or C801-3, circuit 7-AJ24 (YE) (RH rear), harness side and ground.

s6x~us~en~file=a0061729.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to D2 .

No
REPAIR the circuit. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
D2 CHECK THE GROUNDS TO THE REM
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Disconnect: REM C420f, C420g.
  • Measure the resistance between the REM C420f-3, circuit 31-DK30 (BK/OG), harness side and ground; and between the REM C420g-2, circuit 31-DK30 (BK/OG), harness side and ground.

s6x~us~en~file=a0061730.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Are the resistances less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to D3 .

No
REPAIR the circuit(s) as necessary. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
D3 CHECK CIRCUITS 8-AJ14 (WH/BU), 8-AJ24 (WH), 10-AJ14 (GY/VT) AND 10-AJ24 (GY) FOR AN OPEN
  • Disconnect: REM C420c, C420d.
  • NOTE: If the LH rear window motor is inoperative, follow Step 2. If the RH rear window motor is inoperative, follow Step 3.
  • If the LH rear window motor is inoperative, measure the resistance between the LH rear window control switch C701-5, circuit 8-AJ14 (WH/BU), harness side and the REM C420c-24, circuit 8-AJ14 (WH/BU), harness side; and between the LH rear window control switch C701-2, circuit 10-AJ14 (GY/VT), harness side and the REM C420c-22, circuit 10-AJ14 (GY/VT), harness side.

s6x~us~en~file=a0061731.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • If the RH rear window motor is inoperative, measure the resistance between the RH rear window control switch C801-5, circuit 8-AJ24 (WH), harness side and the REM C420d-7, circuit 8-AJ24 (WH), harness side and between the RH rear window control switch C801-2, circuit 10-AJ24 (GY), harness side and the REM C420d-20, circuit 10-AJ24 (GY), harness side.

s6x~us~en~file=a0061732.gif~gen~ref.gif
Yes
GO to D4 .

No
REPAIR the circuit(s) as necessary. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
D4 CHECK THE INOPERATIVE WINDOW CONTROL SWITCH
  • Connect: REM C420c, C420d, C420f, C420g.
  • Key in ON position.
  • Connect a fused (5A) jumper wire between the inoperative window control switch C701-3, circuit 7-AJ14 (YE/BU) (LH rear), harness side or C801-3, circuit 7-AJ24 (YE) (RH rear), harness side and C701-5, circuit 8-AJ14 (WH/BU) (LH rear), harness side or C801-5, circuit 8-AJ24 (WH) (RH rear), harness side. The window motor should operate in the up direction.

s6x~us~en~file=a0061733.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Connect a fused (5A) jumper wire between the inoperative window control switch C701-3, circuit 7-AJ14 (YE/BU) (LH rear), harness side or C801-3, circuit 7-AJ24 (YE) (RH rear), harness side and C701-2, circuit 10-AJ14 (GY/VT) (LH rear), harness side or C801-2, circuit 10-AJ24 (GY) (RH rear), harness side. The window motor should operate in the down direction.

s6x~us~en~file=a0061734.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Does the window operate correctly?
Yes
INSTALL a new rear window control switch. REFER to Window Control Switch in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
GO to D5 .
D5 CHECK THE INOPERATIVE WINDOW MOTOR CIRCUITS
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Disconnect: REM C420f, C420g.
  • Disconnect: Inoperative Window Motor C703/C803.
  • NOTE: If the LH rear window motor is inoperative, follow Step 4. If the RH rear window motor is inoperative, follow Step 5.
  • Measure the resistance between the LH rear window motor C703-1, circuit 35-AJ13 (VT/BU), harness side and the REM C420f-1, circuit 35-AJ13 (VT/BU), harness side; and between C703-2, circuit 34-AJ13 (BU/RD), harness side and the REM C420f-2, circuit 34-AJ13 (BU/RD), harness side.

s6x~us~en~file=a0061735.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Measure the resistance between the RH rear window motor C803-1, circuit 35-AJ23 (VT/WH), harness side and the REM C420g-3, circuit 35-AJ23 (VT/WH), harness side; and between C803-2, circuit 34-AJ23 (BU/OG), harness side and the REM C420g-1, circuit 34-AJ23 (BU/OG), harness side.

s6x~us~en~file=a0061736.gif~gen~ref.gif
Honestly, all of the above have one thing in common - The harness to and in the driver's door. I'd start with it.

B1261 - sun load - This is in the assembly with the flashing PATS light and the light sensor for the auto headlights.

B1967, B2429

E1 CHECK THE SENSOR RESISTANCE
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Disconnect: Sensor.
  • Refer to the table and disconnect the sensor associated with the DTCs recorded from the DATC module self-test:

Sensor Condition DTC Connector
    EVAP air discharge Open B1946 C296
    EVAP air discharge Short B1947 C296
    Driver air Open B1966 C255
    Driver air Short B1967 C255
    Passenger air Open B2428 C235
    Passenger air Short B2429 C235
  • Measure the resistance between sensor terminals.

s6x~us~en~file=a0004761.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Is the resistance within the specified values for these temperature ranges: 10-20°C (50-68°F) 37,000-58,000 ohms; 20-30°C (68-86°F) 24,000-37,000 ohms; 30-40°C (86-104°F) 16,000-24,000 ohms?
It seems to be very common for any or all of these three sensors to fail. They are easy to change out. Until fixed, you probably won't get good heating or cooling.

B1567
B1 MONITOR THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER HIGH BEAM INPUT STATUS PID
  • Key in ON position.
  • Monitor the instrument cluster high beam input status PID while moving the multifunction switch from the LOW BEAM position to the HIGH BEAM position.
  • Does the PID agree with the positions of the multifunction switch?
Yes
GO to B8 .

No
GO to B2 .
B2 CHECK THE MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Disconnect: Multifunction Switch C202.
  • Carry out the multifunction switch component test.
    Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 149 for schematic and connector information.

• Is the multifunction switch OK?
Yes
GO to B3 .

No
INSTALL a new multifunction switch. REFER to Section 211-05 . CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
B3 CHECK CIRCUIT 8-LE14 (WH/BU) FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE
  • Disconnect: Instrument Cluster C220b.
  • Key in ON position.
  • Measure the voltage between the instrument cluster C220b-19, circuit 8-LE14 (WH/BU), harness side and ground.

s6x~us~en~file=a0056734.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Is any voltage present?
Yes

No
GO to B4 .
B4 CHECK CIRCUIT 8-LE14 (WH/BU) FOR AN OPEN OR SHORT TO GROUND
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Measure the resistance between the instrument cluster C220b-19, circuit 8-LE14 (WH/BU), harness side and ground; and between the instrument cluster C220b-19, circuit 8-LE14 (WH/BU), harness side and the multifunction switch C202-9, circuit 8-LE14 (WH/BU), harness side.

s6x~us~en~file=a0059777.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms between the instrument cluster and ground, and less than 5 ohms between the instrument cluster and the multifunction switch?
Yes
GO to B5 .

No
B5 CHECK CIRCUIT 9-LG43 (BN/WH) FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE
  • Key in ON position.
  • Measure the voltage between the instrument cluster C220b-9, circuit 9-LG43 (BN/WH), harness side and ground.

s6x~us~en~file=a0059778.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Is any voltage present?
Yes

No
GO to B6 .
B6 CHECK CIRCUIT 9-LG43 (BN/WH) FOR AN OPEN OR SHORT TO GROUND
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Measure the resistance between the instrument cluster C220b-9, circuit 9-LG43 (BN/WH), harness side and ground; and between the instrument cluster C220b-9, circuit 9-LG43 (BN/WH), harness side and the multifunction switch C202-8, circuit 9-LG43 (BN/WH), harness side.

s6x~us~en~file=a0059779.gif~gen~ref.gif
  • Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms between the instrument cluster and ground, and less than 5 ohms between the instrument cluster and multifunction switch?
Yes
GO to B7 .

No
B7 CHECK FOR CORRECT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER OPERATION
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Disconnect all the instrument cluster connectors.
  • Check for:
    • corrosion
    • pushed-out pins
  • Connect all instrument cluster connectors and make sure they seat correctly.
Yes
INSTALL a new instrument cluster. REFER to Section 413-01 . TEST the system for normal operation.

No
The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.
B8 CHECK FOR CORRECT FEM OPERATION
  • Key in OFF position.
  • Disconnect all the FEM connectors.
  • Check for:
    • corrosion
    • pushed-out pins
  • Connect all the FEM connectors and make sure they seat correctly.

Probably enough for one post...

Ummm did you change oil yet and use 5w-20

Should I use 5w20 or 5w30? I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, since the engine says 5w20, but somebody was saying they put 5w30 in their ls, and it worked better. It doesnt matter to me, just though I would throw it out there.

Should I use 5w20 or 5w30? I know this sounds like a ridiculous question, since the engine says 5w20, but somebody was saying they put 5w30 in their ls, and it worked better. It doesnt matter to me, just though I would throw it out there.
5w30 isn't going to hurt the car but if you want the High compression engine to perform at it's peak ...5w20 is the way to go

any suggestions on brand, I use valvoline.
I use Valvoline also...by the way I forgot to mention ...due to the harsh cold climate we live in ...5w20 is much easier on the engine due to the below freezing temps that are upon us this time of year

Mobil 1 synthetic with Motorcraft filter. Don't buy from Wally.

IF the car isn't going to sit all the time... I also recommend Motorcraft battery from the dealer. They seem to last a few years longer than the rest.

There are 2 sizes, (in power). Buy the larger Cold Cranking Amp version. They are about $130... but if you ask fir a discount, they will typically knock a little off.

any suggestions on brand, I use valvoline.
After following this thread, I have to say that regardless of what you do with/to your LS, things will probably work out ok for you. For a 16 year old, you seem to understand the basics (or more) of car repair. Granted, to repair and maintain an LS, you'll need knowledge of more than the basics - but with what I've read in your posts, coupled with your positive attitude and desire to learn, I'm led to believe that you'll be better off with this car than many others that are twice your age. Good luck to you!

After following this thread, I have to say that regardless of what you do with/to your LS, things will probably work out ok for you. For a 16 year old, you seem to understand the basics (or more) of car repair. Granted, to repair and maintain an LS, you'll need knowledge of more than the basics - but with what I've read in your posts, coupled with your positive attitude and desire to learn, I'm led to believe that you'll be better off with this car than many others that are twice your age. Good luck to you!

I wish I had a couple grand to do the cooling system, add an intake,switch out the mufflers, etc. I am gonna need to save some cash

Invest in the oem manuals with wiring and Craftsmen tool cube tool case. This is a entry level mid class sports car. I have one with many miles and have worked thru many issues to obtained a good reliable that is a joy to drive
If you had only one performance to make the biggest difference is the replacement of the center exhaust chamber after the cats with a Bassani X-pipe from 350Z system The input pipes are 2.25 and the X-pipe is 2.5 so some reducers are needed. After the install, hold on!

Invest in the oem manuals with wiring and Craftsmen tool cube tool case. This is a entry level mid class sports car. I have one with many miles and have worked thru many issues to obtained a good reliable that is a joy to drive
If you had only one performance to make the biggest difference is the replacement of the center exhaust chamber after the cats with a Bassani X-pipe from 350Z system The input pipes are 2.25 and the X-pipe is 2.5 so some reducers are needed. After the install, hold on!
I will have to try that.

Members online

Back