Differential Gear Oil? 2002 LSE V8

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Getting a bit of humming in rear ...looked at gear oil ...yep she is due for replacing ...no metal in the gear Lube ...crossing fingers that new Gear Lube will fix the Humming ...after researching this topic ...my question is as follows??? Does the Lincoln LS still require 75w140????? How hard is this to drain and replace? I mean how long does it take on average?

I can't remember which specific fluid viscosity... whatever the manual says.

You have to use an extraction pump of some type to suck the fluid out via the fill hole, then pump the new fluid in. Obviously you can't remove all the fluid this method.

So it doesn't take long, 30 mins max, it's just more annoying. and you need pump(s)

I can't remember which specific fluid viscosity... whatever the manual says.

You have to use an extraction pump of some type to suck the fluid out via the fill hole, then pump the new fluid in. Obviously you can't remove all the fluid this method.

So it doesn't take long, 30 mins max, it's just more annoying. and you need pump(s)
Thanks for the response ...can I use my ramps for this procedure? Or should I use jack and stands?

Well, you need the rear up, not the front. And you need it somewhat level to get the oil fill correct.

Well, you need the rear up, not the front. And you need it somewhat level to get the oil fill correct.
Okay let me restate this can I use ramps on the back tires and jack stands on the front? Is it okay to have pressure on the back tires while changing out the fluid?

Okay let me restate this can I use ramps on the back tires and jack stands on the front? Is it okay to have pressure on the back tires while changing out the fluid?

Yes. I'd do it without the jackstands on the front (too paranoid, I guess). If the car is up in the back, then you will overfill it slightly, but that should be okay. You could suck a little new fluid back out if it bothers you.
Pressure on the tires is not a factor.

Yes. I'd do it without the jackstands on the front (too paranoid, I guess). If the car is up in the back, then you will overfill it slightly, but that should be okay. You could suck a little new fluid back out if it bothers you.
Pressure on the tires is not a factor.
Thanks for chiming in Joe...Goes the Lincoln LS have a Limited Slip Differential or not? I've researched....some ppl say yes and some say no...my mechanic sold me some BG MGC Modifier and said to put it in with the 75W140 MotorCraft Gear Oil...would I be wise to follow his instructions?

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in Joe...Goes the Lincoln LS have a Limited Slip Differential or not? I've researched....some ppl say yes and some say no...my mechanic sold me some BMG Modifier and said to put it in with the 75W140 MotorCraft Gear Oil...would I be wis to follow his instructions?

No, it most certainly does not.
No, you would not.

No, it most certainly does not.
No, you would not.
This is the product he sold me it's for both Conventional and Limited slip...Would you still advise to not use it?

Through normal operation, the bearings, input and output shaft gears and gear teeth in manual transmissions are subjected to intense stress and heat. The result is chipping or flaking of bearings which can result in looseness or binding on the shafts. Gear teeth will become pitted and worn. Synchronizer sleeves may become scored so that they do not move freely on the hubs. These conditions produce a noisy, hard-shifting transmission and eventual failure.

Limited slip differentials are designed to transmit the major driving force to the wheel that has the most traction. Thus, useless spinning of a wheel in mud, snow or ice is minimized. However, when driving vehicles equipped with limited slip differentials, a loud chatter frequently occurs when the vehicle is turned. This problem is caused by stick-slipping between the plates because of too much friction.

BG Universal MGC® is designed to protect both conventional and limited slip differentials. It enhances lubricant film thickness and improves extreme pressure characteristics of any gear oil.

• Fortifies gear lubricant
  • Prevents stick-slipping chatter in type limited slip differentials
  • Increases film strength
  • Improves thermal stability
  • Reduces gearbox temperature
  • Improves demulsability

BG Drive Line Service
BG Universal MGC® can be part of the BG Drive Line Service.

Find a shop near you that offers the BG Drive Line Service!

1698thm_83ba396896fd84d.jpg

BG Drive Line Service is backed by the Lifetime BG Protection Plan® if the initial service is performed within 100,000 miles/160,000 km. To maintain coverage, get a BG Drive Line Service every 30,000 miles/50,000 km!

Or, it probably or shouldn't hurt anything, but it won't help either.

Personally, I have been remiss on this one. Both of my LS differentials have over 210K miles on the original factory fill, and no noise or issues. I now have no plans to change them.

Personally, I have been remiss on this one. Both of my LS differentials have over 210K miles on the original factory fill, and no noise or issues. I now have no plans to change them.
I agree...my 2006 LS is at 220,200 miles and no issue with differential...I thought the noise was a bearing ...maybe I should get a second opinion ..my trusted mechanic said it's the differential...kinda scratching my head...wont hurt to throw new gear oil init though it's pretty black ...thinking maybe it has 75w90 in it from factory being it's a 2002?

It won't hurt anything but it's also totally unnecessary.

Hey Joe and Odd ...just a quick update for you guys ...I went ahead and did the Gear Oil exchange and I did put the additive in with the new 75w140 MotorCraft full synthetic High performance gear oil and I do believe I had condensation in the oil because the oil was a grayish color ...anyway I also think it was way low ...after ther replacement my car isnt humming ar all it's nice and quiet again ...thanks again for your help guys ...you saved me a lot of money once again

The maintenance schedule says to switch the rear differential fluid every 150k miles. Should I do this if I have no noise coming from the diff? Or will it be fine. It is a 2002

The maintenance schedule says to switch the rear differential fluid every 150k miles. Should I do this if I have no noise coming from the diff? Or will it be fine. It is a 2002
it's a closed system ...it won't hurt to change the gear oil but if your LS isn't making noise there is no need...my noise was actually coming from a bad left rear wheel bearing ...had it replaced and the car is nice and quiet again...glad I changed out the gear oil though ...it was a grayish color ...this is normal though...after the car leaves the factory and is driven there will always be some metal that goes into the oil due to wear and tear... but now the gear oil is gold again

Members online

Back