Question about burning smell

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have had my valve cover gaskets replaced already and I can confirm they are no longer leaking. I keep an eye on my oil all the time and it's not used a bit and it's at the same spot on the dipstick. I have always smelled oil or some kinda burning smell in this car off and on. I did a good job in cleaning all the old oil that had leaked before but I still smell something burning. Is there a possibility that the exhaust manifold gasket needs to be changed? I am not sure if I am way off here but I am running out of ideas. I will also say I am not smelling this in the cabin of the car unless the windows are down.

Last edited:
You might still have a very slight seepage of oil that is not enough to show on the dipstick.

Might want to buy some UV dye made for engine oil... and drive it for a few days. Then crawl all over the engine with a black light. Leak will show as green.

Other possibility is something electrical.

You might still have a very slight seepage of oil that is not enough to show on the dipstick.

Might want to buy some UV dye made for engine oil... and drive it for a few days. Then crawl all over the engine with a black light. Leak will show as green.

Other possibility is something electrical.
I wanted to replace the harness on this car cause of all the issues with broken connectors (missing locking part on some plus already have a brand new OEM harness for the car) But to do that I had to take off a lot of crap on the motor and if I am not mistaken it was the intake that had to come off to get to one of the wires. I am hoping when I have that done we can find the culprit of it. I mean my only hope is that it's just a bunch of old oil and it has not burned off quite yet. I know it leaked like crazy before and I did my best to clean it up but you can only get to so many places safely.

if I am not mistaken it was the intake that had to come off to get to one of the wires

That would most likely be the Coolant Head Temperature sensor at the passenger side of the intake... between cylinders 3&4.

You could invest in a case of brake parts cleaner... and soak the whole engine, then let it dry. Just make sure the vehicle is outside... and the engine isn't hot.

That would most likely be the Coolant Head Temperature sensor at the passenger side of the intake... between cylinders 3&4.

You could invest in a case of brake parts cleaner... and soak the whole engine, then let it dry. Just make sure the vehicle is outside... and the engine isn't hot.
I know that my mechanic said when he did it that would be a good time to do intake gaskets or something in that nature. I had also been having some other issues that made me want to replace the intake gaskets anyway. But as far at the exhaust manifold I figured since I had been having a bunch of coolant issues it would not be a bad thing to go ahead and replace it as well. I am trying to make sure when I am done with this car that I can drive it for a while with less worry long as I take care of it and do the needed maintenance in between and the fluid/filter changes. So I guess I am hoping I can get good and clean in the areas that are tight with most of the stuff out of the way. And possibly fix/prevent some issues down the road. I know the exhaust manifold gaskets usually last longer.. But being I know metal transmission plates crack on these car it's not impossible for it to be breaking as well.

No oil running through the intake, except for that sucked in by the PCV system. If your intake gaskets were leaking, you'd have rough running due to the air leak, not an oil leak.

Oil leak points that I can think of are - valve cover gaskets (including spark plug well seals), VCT solenoid seals, front timing cover gaskets, front shaft seal, rear shaft seal, oil filter seal, oil filter adapter seal, oil cooler seal, lower engine block, the oil pan, and the oil drain plug. A leak at any of those can make it to the bottom of the oil pan. From there, it will blow onto the exhaust, causing that burning oil smell.
Look at the bottom of the oil pan. Is it wet and oily? If so, find the highest and most forward point that is wet with oil. That'll be where it is leaking.

No oil running through the intake, except for that sucked in by the PCV system. If your intake gaskets were leaking, you'd have rough running due to the air leak, not an oil leak.

Oil leak points that I can think of are - valve cover gaskets (including spark plug well seals), VCT solenoid seals, front timing cover gaskets, front shaft seal, rear shaft seal, oil filter seal, oil filter adapter seal, oil cooler seal, lower engine block, the oil pan, and the oil drain plug. A leak at any of those can make it to the bottom of the oil pan. From there, it will blow onto the exhaust, causing that burning oil smell.
Look at the bottom of the oil pan. Is it wet and oily? If so, find the highest and most forward point that is wet with oil. That'll be where it is leaking.
Everything looked pretty clean and dry when I recently had it on a lift. That is why I scratching my head. I will say I see smoke time to time in the rear of the motor near about center of the front windshield. It's mainly at idle when I can really notice it otherwise I smell it strong after the car has ran for sometime on the outside after I get out. As far as replacing the intake gaskets I am hoping it can fix a rough idle issue I have been chasing as well. There have been a few issues on this car that I have been trouble finding the cause but mechanics that know this car are few and far between in my area. If I ever get this coolant issue fixed I will drive out of town to where I know I can find good help on this car. I am mainly replacing the gaskets for peace of mind in general. I just wish to get ahead on things like gaskets. I know it won't likely fix a thing but I guess once I get in there and see the shape of everything I will know for sure. I just know the guy doing this work I can trust and he will do it cheaper than anyone else out there. He is old school but he takes it very serious and has a lift and all at his shop which is at his house. He can do things like changing parts without a bit of worry but for some of my other issues I need someone that knows that kinda thing better.

IIRC... this would be the same guy that helped you with your suspension work a couple years ago... correct? Rear bearings and such too?
Yeah he did my suspension except the rear bearings as that ended up being more than he wanted to do. I did not replace a few other things on the front suspension cause it had been replaced already but I have things like front shocks and lower front control arms to do. I have a place that will do the rear bearings for $150 and I trust them as well just not for some of the harder stuff on this car. Turning wrench's and such if I know the problem for sure I trust them doing the work 100%.

I hope that $150 doesn't include bearings. Good bearings are about $60 apiece.

Or at least they used to be...
No that is the labor. I have the bearings already lol. That is from a transmission/suspension shop that has excellent reviews. Plus they have done past work for me and my family.

Everything looked pretty clean and dry when I recently had it on a lift. That is why I scratching my head. I will say I see smoke time to time in the rear of the motor near about center of the front windshield. It's mainly at idle when I can really notice it otherwise I smell it strong after the car has ran for sometime on the outside after I get out. As far as replacing the intake gaskets I am hoping it can fix a rough idle issue I have been chasing as well. There have been a few issues on this car that I have been trouble finding the cause but mechanics that know this car are few and far between in my area. If I ever get this coolant issue fixed I will drive out of town to where I know I can find good help on this car. I am mainly replacing the gaskets for peace of mind in general. I just wish to get ahead on things like gaskets. I know it won't likely fix a thing but I guess once I get in there and see the shape of everything I will know for sure. I just know the guy doing this work I can trust and he will do it cheaper than anyone else out there. He is old school but he takes it very serious and has a lift and all at his shop which is at his house. He can do things like changing parts without a bit of worry but for some of my other issues I need someone that knows that kinda thing better.
I understand you're changing the Manifold Gaskets for peace of mind and to get a better look at things but some good degreaser and elbow grease can go a long way when it comes to finding out if you still have oil leaking somewhere ...I agree 110% with Joe ...you would have an air leak not a oil leak with Manifold gaskets...unless you're smelling plastic or wires burning

I have had my valve cover gaskets replaced already and I can confirm they are no longer leaking. I keep an eye on my oil all the time and it's not used a bit and it's at the same spot on the dipstick. I have always smelled oil or some kinda burning smell in this car off and on. I did a good job in cleaning all the old oil that had leaked before but I still smell something burning. Is there a possibility that the exhaust manifold gasket needs to be changed? I am not sure if I am way off here but I am running out of ideas. I will also say I am not smelling this in the cabin of the car unless the windows are down.

Members online

No members online now.
Back