Does anyone have any idea of the spring clamp sizes on coolant hoses?

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Ran into a snag on these hoses on the system as most of them are getting harder to find OEM. I decided to give the Gates hoses a shot since I can atleast get the complete set of rubber hoses. The issue as you all know is the spring clamps! I want to replace all the old clamps with new ones and I don't want to use them screw clamps. Does anyone know of a place that has good enough quality spring clamps that will do the job and what sizes I need and how many? I think I know the hose sizes as there seems to be 4 different thicknesses. 3/4 5/16 5/8 and 23/32 so wondering do I just order clamps that are them same sizes or do I go a little smaller for each to give it stronger tension. Hopefully this does not sound like a dumb question and someone has some insight. I am not talking about the radiator hoses just talking about all the hoses that do not come with the upper and lower hose assemblies.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that clamp sizes are stated as hose ID sizes.

so wondering do I just order clamps that are them same sizes or do I go a little smaller for each to give it stronger tension

Use same size as hose diameter description. Smaller would be a total PITA... and would eventually cut into the hoses as they soften. The "factory" clamps, (cough cough), hint... are designed for the hoses. They are thicker than aftermarket... and for some reason... don't seem to rust very much.

Use same size as hose diameter description. Smaller would be a total PITA... and would eventually cut into the hoses as they soften. The "factory" clamps, (cough cough), hint... are designed for the hoses. They are thicker than aftermarket... and for some reason... don't seem to rust very much.
Would go with factory all the way around if I could it's just not an option as all the hoses are not able to be bought anymore..... Ford also does not sell these clamps as you all likely know.

Would go with factory all the way around if I could it's just not an option as all the hoses are not able to be bought anymore..... Ford also does not sell these clamps as you all likely know.
You'll be fine with Gates Brand hoses ...they are the Industries leading Rubber Hose manufacturer right now ...I see there Brand name almost everywhere from Farming machinery to Heavy Machinery to all Makes and models of Cars ...try finding a high quality Spring Clamp and you'll be Golden!

You'll be fine with Gates Brand hoses ...they are the Industries leading Rubber Hose manufacturer right now ...I see there Brand name almost everywhere from Farming machinery to Heavy Machinery to all Makes and models of Cars ...try finding a high quality Spring Clamp and you'll be Golden!
I am going to have a fun time finding that part of it ! I know the factory ones are so much stronger than what you will find out here for the most part on the market.

I am going to have a fun time finding that part of it ! I know the factory ones are so much stronger than what you will find out here for the most part on the market.
I've reused the same factory Clamps when changing my Heater Valve and they worked fine ...don't over think this

I've reused the same factory Clamps when changing my Heater Valve and they worked fine ...don't over think this
Yeah but gonna have to add more in for sure than what is there now cause of the way a few of the hoses are made. I think if I am not mistaken a few of them have to be joined with a connector so your gonna want to add clamps around that as well. I am talking about where like the metal sleeve joins the few lines together.

Found this too. You may just have to spend some time doing research.

MOTORCRAFT Hose Clamp Cooling System Parts | RockAuto
Been doing that but as you might realize with that link you just sent me no sizes are mentioned at all for the most part. It's not a one size fits all kinda thing so I know it's gonna take research and I have a few of the sizes figured out but just looking for like one more size. Amazon has much better prices as that is what my research has shown me.

And a bit "off topic"... but Zoro also carries "split shaft collars" that come in handy when sway bar bushings are replaced.

Also liquid level sight glasses and bungs... that could be installed in aluminum degas bottles. :rolleyes:

I will update the info again soon I had to remove it for now cause I did not want to give incorrect information.

Last edited:
Yeah Dale... I was holding back on saying anything... but some of the sizes seemed a bit large. Some of the minimum clamp diameters were the same size as the hose. I would think that you'd want the middle range of the clamp size to match the hose I.D.

Plus... the 3/4 hose and the 23/32 seem close enough to use the same size clamp.

Try checking here?
The two clamps that are shown at that link are for the hose that goes in the area of the thermostat housing and it's much bigger than the rest of the coolant hoses. I think I have figured out the size I will go ahead and link it but won't know 100% for sure till it come in the mail as it's been a bit of trial and error. But I am not so worried now as I think I have the right size on the way.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079XXSZ8N/

Yeah Dale... I was holding back on saying anything... but some of the sizes seemed a bit large. Some of the minimum clamp diameters were the same size as the hose. I would think that you'd want the middle range of the clamp size to match the hose I.D.

Plus... the 3/4 hose and the 23/32 seem close enough to use the same size clamp.
Well if anything I have been too small on everything I have ordered. I edited the posts cause of some bad information I had from an auto parts store. The hose OD is right at 1 inch for both types of hoses as now that I have all my hoses in hand I was able to get an idea of the right size. Seems like the size for these clamps for both lines needs to be around 20-25 mm. The next ones that I ordered come in on Monday and I will update everyone then. Keeping my fingers crossed! This is one reason Amazon is good to order from because of the free return shipping so I am not stick with a bunch of clamps I will never use!

Well I can say that these are pure junk.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079XXSZ8N/
They don't fit the hose at all they do come close to going on the smaller of the two, but doubtful they are the size they claim. I will try to measure them later today and see what they actually are fully extended. But the reason I say they are junk is cause I can literally more than halfway compress them with two fingers on a hand that has some nerve issues.
Before compression:
junk1.jpg

After being compressed
2.jpg

Yeah, that's certainly not right. The reviews note the same problems. I was tempted a while back to buy some clamp assortments on Amazon. The reviews on all the ones I looked at scared me off.

Yeah, that's certainly not right. The reviews note the same problems. I was tempted a while back to buy some clamp assortments on Amazon. The reviews on all the ones I looked at scared me off.
I am running out of ideas with staying with this style clamp I am thinking the hose might be just a hair bigger than a inch far as OD goes. I have tried going the ID route but that seems like it's always wrong with the parts I find online.
I think these are almost my only two options
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CYVSG
and
22-27mm 0.86"-1.04" Hose Spring Clamps Clip for Fuel Water Vacuum x 10 pcs | eBay

Members online

Back