Whats the purpose of this engine oil drain plug?

xtriggerman

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm doing my second engine oil change and want to put a drain valve type plug in the pan. Problem is, I'v never seen a drain plug like the one in this 97. It has a black plastic/rubber outer plug in it with a spring loaded ported inner shank that is caped off. Is this Ford's idea of some kind of quick drain type ported plug? If so, how would it be used?

915dYozqyVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
i've never seen what you described on a mark viii engine. It comes factory with a standard plug. Sounds like something added on , or did you already know that and are just wondering why?https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/915dYozqyVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I didn't know if this is a Ford plug or not. This is my first Ford made Vehicle aside from a 87 7.3 F250 I had years ago. Maybe some one can identify it. It says A51 on the black cap.
WevrZUjl.jpg

ciIkWDUl.jpg

I'm going to order an EZ drain valve any way but this is a curiosity.

I didn't know if this is a Ford plug or not. This is my first Ford made Vehicle aside from a 87 7.3 F250 I had years ago. Maybe some one can identify it. It says A51 on the black cap.
View attachment 828573170
View attachment 828573171
I'm going to order an EZ drain valve any way but this is a curiosity.

That appears to be a type of quick drain; definitely aftermarket.

Pry off that cap and I bet you'll see that it is threaded for some kind of drain tube to attach to it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back