5R55N transmission question 2002 LSE V8

77817-c86a098f0ac19ad92f321f4db7249a16.gif

This is the cable bracket I had to take off and push out of the way in order to fit my big hands up in that tiny space ...I'm 6'5 by the way ....wish I would've had the hands of a hobbit and figures of a lemur for this job lol

I didnt even detach the cable from the bracket as you see in the latter posts pic ...I just pushed it up by the O2 sensor so it was out of my way

That's what sparked the question in the first post in this thread to begin with ...I thought after pushing that cable bracket out of the way with the cable attached might have moved that arm/pin/rod whatever you call it ( Detent Arm) from the proper Rooster Comb Tooth

Well... I'm pretty sure the cable moves the rooster... and the detent remains stationary.

Skip to around minute 2:52 in this video:

You'll see that the mechanic completely removed the detent arm from where it was affixed to the valve body. So I think you might have that backwards.

Google search this:

"5r55s pan removed view"

Then a couple results down you should see this:

"Ratio Tek 55r5w 55r5s"

Then go to page 10 of this PDF file. It provides a better view. You'll see the detent arm is bolted in place. So it doesn't move... the Rooster does.

Last edited:
Well... I'm pretty sure the cable moves the rooster... and the detent remains stationary.

You'll see that the mechanic completely removed the detent arm from where it was affixed to the valve body. So I think you might have that backwards.

Google search this:

"5r55s pan removed view"

"Ratio Tek 55r5w 55r5s"

Then go to page 10 of this PDF file. It provides a better view. You'll see the detent arm is bolted in place. So it doesn't move... the Rooster does.

Is that the video you sent me ...by the way I didnt touch the valve body

Didn't say you did. I'm just trying to clarify for you which part moves, and which part doesn't.
I broke down and called my Mechanic and he gave me his Transmission guy's phone # ...I called him and talked a bit ...it wa refreshing to hear that he has worked on both Generation Lincoln LSes :) He is really swamp with work but could work on my LSE in a couple weeks ...He thinks the Reverse band is shot

If you're not comfortable doing the band adjustment yourself... suggest to the transmission shop that you want to try that first to see if that fixes it.

And you're not just learning about how THIS transmission works... but about how most transmissions have worked for the last 50 years or so. Only difference with most of the newer ones... is that they have replaced some of the mechanical fluid aspects/components... with electrical ones.

If you're not comfortable doing the band adjustment yourself... suggest to the transmission shop that you want to try that first to see if that fixes it.

And you're not just learning about how THIS transmission works... but about how most transmissions have worked for the last 50 years or so. Only difference with most of the newer ones... is that they have replaced some of the mechanical fluid aspects/components... with electrical ones.
That's a great idea...I will let him know that and see what he says...also I told him about the Rooster comb and detent arm ....whether they were lined up properly and he asked me if the digital Letters on the dash were letting me know the proper gear the car was in ...so he asked " When the shifter is in "Park" is the digital "P" illuminated on the Dash and when I shift it to "Reverse" does the digital "R" show up and so on ...so on ...so on...I said yes he said that it is lined up and working ...he said it would go into some kind of NEUTRAL type default if it was messed up ...but he also said that a bad Solenoid Pack can make a car stall due to not properly building pressure for the clutch or something like that ....I was at work when I talked to him so forgive me for not giving more details but he did say a lot ...but yes I will pull on his ear about the Reverse band adjustment ...I'm going to have him put in a different solenoid pack also and return the one I put in there

Well if it ends up being the solenoid pack... provide proof of replacement by a receipt from the local tranny shop... and demand a full refund including return shipping.

I know you've seen the YouTube video where some guy "rebuilds" the solenoid pack by pulling the needle valves, (plungers), from the individual solenoids... checks the springs, and then readjusts the needle valves. THAT... Is not rebuilding.

If your solenoid pack came from eBay... that's probably what happened here... and most of, (if not all) the eBay solenoid packs are probably "rebuilt" the same way... which is NOT actually rebuilding them.

Google search this:

"5r55s pan removed view"

"Ratio Tek 55r5w 55r5s"

Well ...I opened my phone this morning to find that I was refunded my $121.50 for the Solenoid Pack ...funny thing is I never even started a return with Amazon ...the company just refunded my money automatically... th he guy I talked with that sold it to me must've known something was wrong with it

If I had to venture a guess... the seller may have found this thread... and read this:

I know you've seen the YouTube video where some guy "rebuilds" the solenoid pack by pulling the needle valves, (plungers), from the individual solenoids... checks the springs, and then readjusts the needle valves. THAT... Is not rebuilding.

If your solenoid pack came from eBay... that's probably what happened here... and most of, (if not all) the eBay solenoid packs are probably "rebuilt" the same way... which is NOT actually rebuilding them.

They might have figured they were busted... or grew a conscience.

If I had to venture a guess... the seller may have found this thread... and read this:

They might have figured they were busted... or grew a conscience.
I was thinking the same thing ...Wondering if they heard what you said lol :)

Members online

Back