5R55N transmission question 2002 LSE V8

I don't think you've done any damage yet. Low fluid has been reported to cause engine stalls.

While I have no proof of this...

I think when the pan is pulled, some of the fluid drains out of the converter.

The 5r55 series transmission supposedly holds 12.7 quarts, (based on recent internet search), with 7 of those quarts going for the torque converter.

That leaves 5.7 quarts in the pan WITHOUT pulling the plug to do a level check. At that point it doesn't seem worth it to pull the fill plug to do a level check... because it's only going to get lower if one let's it drain until it stops dribbling.

I'd try pumping 2 quarts into it and see how it acts. My guess is even then it will still be a little low... though the flow from the level check plug might not indicate that.

Last edited:
While I have no proof of this...

I think when the pan is pulled, some of the fluid drains out of the converter.

The 5r55 series transmission supposedly holds 12.7 quarts, (based on recent internet search), with 7 of those quarts going for the torque converter.

That leaves 5.7 quarts in the pan WITHOUT pulling the plug to do a level check. At that point it doesn't seem worth it to pull the fill plug to do a level check... because it's only going to get lower if one let's it drain until it stops dribbling.

I'd try pumping 2 quarts into it and see how it acts. My guess is even then it will still be a little low... though the flow from the level check plug might not indicate that.
I don't think you've done any damage yet. Low fluid has been reported to cause engine stalls.
You were both right it was really low just put 3 more quarts in and it finally started to come out ...the only problem is it's still stalling ...I'm letting it run as I type ...just disconnect battery again and I'm going to let it run a good while so the transmission an get good and hot with the proper amount of fluid ...04' that is really disheartening if I can't rely on the check level plug ...it was drizzling out really good after adding the fluid and I allowed it to keep drizzling until it looked like a steady drip bead

The first time... or the 2nd time. Hopefully the 2nd time, you added the 3 quarts and just put the plug in without letting it dribble out.

Is it shifting through all the gears properly now?
I filled it today for the second time ...I walked away from it last night when I told you it seemed low....its still stalling out when I shift it into D5 and no reverse still ...I still get no codes ...I tried calling the place where I bought the solenoid pack and didnt get an answer but the company called me back and said I can send it back any time and they're willing to help me get this transmission working...what a great company ....I'm thinking it's time to call my mechanic and have him send it out to his transmission crew ...due to the fact the engine stalling and I still have no reverse I'm passing the baton to the experts now lol

"Transmission problems
You may not consider the possibility that your transmission can cause your engine to stall. However, it is possible. A transmission engaged in gear can sit still at a stop because the torque converter is allowing it to slip. If there is an internal pressure problem in the transmission, the torque converter may lock up and cause your vehicle to stall at an idle. Although not as common as other stalling conditions, it is a possibility."

GM had a problem with this in the 80's. Torque converter clutch would not disengage when the vehicle came to a stop... causing the vehicle to stall. I don't remember if the fix was a computer update, or a torque converter replacement.

Is this a symptom your LS had before you changed the solenoid pack... or did it develope after you changed the solenoid pack?

GM had a problem with this in the 80's. Torque converter clutch would not disengage when the vehicle came to a stop... causing the vehicle to stall. I don't remember if the fix was a computer update, or a torque converter replacement.

Is this a symptom your LS had before you changed the solenoid pack... or did it develope after you changed the solenoid pack?
After

Did you double check the DTR alignment?

When you reconnected the shift cable... did the cable line up with the arm on the trans... or did you have to move the arm to line up with the cable???

Because I have to press on the gas and rev up the engine while in nuetral ...then I have to shift it into Drive in order for the engine not to stall out ...I'm thinking the clutch/ clutches are bad...thinking it's a pressure problem

Did you double check the DTR alignment?

When you reconnected the shift cable... did the cable line up with the arm on the trans... or did you have to move the arm to line up with the cable???
No I didnt check the DTR alignment because I didn't remove the DTR component...I did remove the shift cable bracket ...had yo in order to take out the Solenoid pack connector ...but I left that DTR component in place...but am I hearing you right? Are you saying that if I remove the shift cable and the bracket holding it....that can misalign the DTR component

Wouldn't the transmission be trying to engage reverse a little or somewhat

If the solenoid pack is the problem?

Well the arm is attached to the rooster comb... So if the arm moves... The rooster comb will too.

So when you re-attached the shifter cable... did the cable line up with the arm... or did you have to move the arm to line up with the cable???

Well the arm is attached to the rooster comb... So if the arm moves... The rooster comb will too.

So when you re-attached the shifter cable... did the cable line up with the arm... or did you have to move the arm to line up with the cable???
20191014_190502.jpg

The arm is on the rooster comb as seen in my pic ...not sure what you mean...I would have to go back in at this point and send you pics of what everything looks like ...and I'm to the point now that I m going to limp it over to my Mechanic's shop and have him send it to his transmission people

Unless I'm missing something...

The rooster comb is mounted to a shaft that rotates. That shaft passes through the transmission case... and has an external arm that attaches to the shifter cable.

Every time you move the shifter one position in the car... It moves the rooster comb one notch, (detent). This is how the different gears are selected as you move the shifter in the car.

Sounds like you and I have not been talking about the same "arm" from the beginning of this conversation.

It's possible that the arm the shifter cable attaches to might not be adjusted properly now... and not matching up with the DTR position... causing the transmission to be confused about what it is supposed to be doing.

Unless I'm missing something...

The rooster comb is mounted to a shaft that rotates. That shaft passes through the transmission case... and has an external arm that attaches to the shifter cable.

Every time you move the shifter one position in the car... It moves the rooster comb one notch, (detent). This is how the different gears are selected as you move the shifter in the car.

Sounds like you and I have not been talking about the same "arm" from the beginning of this conversation.

It's possible that the arm the shifter cable attaches to might not be adjusted properly now... and not matching up with the DTR position... causing the transmission to be confused about what it is supposed to be doing.
I guess you're right we were on different pages from the start ...the part that I sent a picture to you in the beginning of this thread is a pic of the Rooster Comb ...the part with the writing on it....As far I could tell the Rooster Comb
( the part in pic with writing on it XW4P-7C494-AC ) DID NOT move but the little arm that is pressed upon the Rooster Combs grooves or teeth DOES because its attached to the shifter cable ( even though I was just in there now you have me second guessing this lol) Like I said I disconnected the DTR connector and left it well alone ( I didn't even take the two bolts out that is connecting it to the side of the transmission I just managed to maneuver the Pan around it when pulling the pan down ...I saw the circular dial you're taking about on the DTR though) so in you're opinion is this ed ven worth going back into? Like I said I can drive the car in gear if I give it gas while in Nuetral and drop it down into D5 ...it kicks in but its driving like shit and it still doesn't even try to ho into reverse ?

The digital transmission range (TR) sensor connector - This is what I unplugged and then left attached
77816-63e0e9d62b98a6d43fa6bbf3cb603644.gif

Members online

No members online now.
Back