5R55N transmission question 2002 LSE V8

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey 04' just wanna say you've been such a great help thus far and want to say I appreciate you walking me through this solenoid replacement ...next question I have is......How do I know where this pin or rod should be on the tooth the shift cable is connected to? If you don't know what I'm talking about just ask...
20191014_190525.jpg
20191014_190502.jpg

It's the part with the writing on it

Last edited:
Don't know the technical name... but I'll call it the gear selector detent arm, (or detent pawl). It should be attached to a shaft that goes through the tranny case... outside to where the shift cable attaches to another arm.

As long as you haven't moved the external arm... the shift cable should re-attach with no issues, as it should be in park now. Rotating that 2 notches would be in neutral... like the video I showed you for adjusting the DTR.

If when you go to attach the shift cable... it doesn't line up with the ball in the external arm... there is an adjustment procedure for that.

Don't know the technical name... but I'll call it the gear selector detent arm, (or detent pawl). It should be attached to a shaft that goes through the tranny case... outside to where the shift cable attaches to another arm.

As long as you haven't moved the external arm... the shift cable should re-attach with no issues, as it should be in park now. Rotating that 2 notches would be in neutral... like the video I showed you for adjusting the DTR.

If when you go to attach the shift cable... it doesn't line up with the ball in the external arm... there is an adjustment procedure for that.
Okay sounds good

Doesn't anyone know which teeth/sections on the Gear Selecter Detent Arm represent which gear? P, R, N D5, D4....ect...ect....?

Remount your shifter cable bracket to the trans... but don't connect it to the external arm.

Then hop in the car and put it in park. If the trans is in park... the socket on the end of the cable will line up with the ball/pin on the external shifter arm.

If it's not even close... then move the arm on the side of the transmission until everything lines up. By the pic... it looks like it's in park.

Either way... you can get it to line up at some point. The cable is fixed at both ends. The shifter above... and the bracket below.

Last edited:
Remount your shifter cable bracket to the trans... but don't connect it to the external arm.

Then hop in the car and put it in park. If the trans is in park... the socket on the end of the cable will line up with the ball/pin on the external shifter arm.

If it's not even close... then move the arm on the side of the transmission until everything lines up. By the pic... it looks like it's in park.

Either way... you can get it to line up at some point. The cable is fixed at both ends. The shifter above... and the bracket below.
Well....I left it where it was and everything is buttoned up and the transmission is filled ...It's late and the alarm comes fast for work in the morning...will start it up tomorrow and cross my fingers this fixed the reverse ...I think you're right though I think the arm is good and in the right position ...I will find out tomorrow

Well... if still no reverse there are 3 other options.

- Broken spring in valve body.

- Bad/cracked separator plate.

- Reverse band needs adjustment, or is broken.

And... depending on if there are other symptoms... possibly a sticking sprag clutch.

Transmission Problem

Follow the links within the page too.

Well... if still no reverse there are 3 other options.

- Broken spring in valve body.

- Bad/cracked separator plate.

- Reverse band needs adjustment, or is broken.

And... depending on if there are other symptoms... possibly a sticking sprag clutch.

Transmission Problem

Follow the links within the page too.
Okay sounds good...I will let you know the results tonight ...

Good grief. Is that with flux capacitor shift cable? o_O
Okay update...I warmed up the transmission fluid and went through the gears like I was told in the shop manual...I got to D5 and the car shut off I put the car back in park turned it on and no check engine light no " E" on dash board ...the car just kills when i get to the D5 gear ...Welp lol! :(

Did it try to move when it stalled? Did it try to move in reverse?

I had the E brake on and brake the back tires was on ramps the front on Jack stands ...not sure if it did but I guess i would have to say no...I just unplugged the battery to see if the PCM will reset iiself and thats a hail mary...would it be low on fluid or over filled to make it kill? Or is that a PCM occurence ...why not no check engine or E Light

Last edited:
What was it doing beforehand that caused you to do the solenoid pack in the first place, (besides no reverse)?
Okay update ...If I give the car some gas it drops into gear D5 and drives but now it's hard shifting into 1st gear and then smooths out a bit in 2nd to 3rd but it's hard shifting gears and I didnt want to drive it more than a few blocks before bringing it home ....I'm wondering g if the DTR is messed up the speed is a bit erratic and when I come to a complete stop in D5 the car shuts off ...to answer your question 04' it was shifting hard into 4th and 5th and no reverse

Did it try to move when it stalled? Did it try to move in reverse?
Thanks for asking that question because after pushing the car out of my garage and parking it on the street ...I played attention to whether or not it was trying to drop into D5 and sure enough it did jerk a bit ...so I gave it some gas from Nuetral to D5 and it kicked down into gear and took off lol

How many quarts of fluid did you put in?
I thought I was supposed to put in 3.5 quarts but after watching the video on a solenoid pack replacement on a Ford explorer 5r55s transmission the guy said a pan drop takes about 5 quarts ...so I must be way low also when I checked the fluid through th he drain plug it was barely dripping his video showed it almost pouring out compared to mine ...I must be low on tranny fluid ...what do you think?

Just as expected...I shined through we with the mechanical but in hind sight due to lack of experience....I failed miserably with the end technical aspects...I'm thinking I didnt fill the pan enough due to much more fluid than I thought draining out over the last two nights ...also I didnt wait 5 seconds in between shifting each gears ....also probably did damage driving car with such low transmission fluid ...well I know what I need to do now ...I referenced an older thread ...not mentioning names it was really good but he didnt have any of those details I just mentioned after the solenoid pack is installed

Members online

No members online now.
Back