Is the LS New Enough to Use Either one of These ???

04_Sport_LS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
AutoMeter DashControl OBDII Gauge Controllers

Thought it would be nice to have something to visually monitor live data for voltage, a/f ratio, throttle position, timing... and COOLANT TEMP.

Or this....

X-Series OBD2 Digital Datastream Gauge | AEM

I like the idea of using the info center with the first one, (if it's compatible).

The 2nd one in a gauge pod would also meet the interest... but the website says the following:

"Because the X-Series OBDII gauge reads OBDII parameters transmitted through a vehicle’s CAN datastream, it will only work on 2008+ model year vehicles.”

While I realize the LS is not 2008+ ... doesn't the LS use a CAN datastream?

The second one is probably more likely to work than the first, but I really don't know. There are different flavors of CAN.

Also from the AEM website... It says the following.

• Reads data channels from 2008+ MY vehicles through the OBDII port!
Tried various searches with MY, CAN, and OBD2... and could get nothing pertinent to show up.

The pins in the OBDII port tell you which version it is. Gen 1 is SAE J1850 (VPW, I think). Gen 2 is J2480 CAN. Since it's held to certain specs, I don't think there's any variation between years if it's CAN. Functionality may be limited in a 2003 compared to a 2009 due to a lack of physical monitors, but it communicates all the same.

It's absurdly cheaper to get a cheap Bluetooth OBDII adapter (<$25) and an older Android phone (<$50) to run the free Torque app (or $5 for the Pro version with track timing). Torque reads all of the standard OBDII sensors and codes. Forscan has an app that can read all the special codes, as well

I've swapped my two adapters around my 97 Taurus, 02 LS, 10 Explorer, 12 Miata, 03 Taurus, and 14 Fusion. The only time I had an issue was when I used my LS' semi-permanent adapter to try and read an 06 LS. It couldn't connect for a test drive and I don't know why. My other adapter was in my other car 50 miles away. Still, you could run through 5 adapters from Amazon without returning them for half the cost of the AEM. Plus, no wires to handle besides charging the phone every once in a while.

I use a Nexus 5x that had a bad audio jack. Running Torque only runs for 2 hours per charge, but the idle time is a few days. No sim card/data plan, just wifi-only. It sits against the ash tray

I use something similar to what Frank suggested...a cheap OBD2 wifi connector with my iphone and "Dash Command" app. It gives me most of what I need whilst driving...temp, fuel trims, fuel pressure, etc. with their "dashboards". It also disconnects my "find iphone" so my wife can't track me...LOL!!!

Thanks for the ideas FDR and rgorke. Truthfully, I'm looking for something a little more permanent... that could also be removed and installed in another vehicle when the LS goes "out to pasture".

Thus the idea of mounting a gauge pod on the steering column. I did this with a tach in my pre - LS panther body. I still have the gauge pod... and it fits the LS column, (with minor mods)... although there's a gaping hole for the column shift. I think one for a floor shift Mustang will work too, (with minor mods also).

I contacted a company called AeroForce... and they confirmed they have one that will work. Thing is... it's $100 more than the AEM... But has more features.

Aeroforce Technology Inc | Products - Interceptor Ford Order

3rd option down. CFN series. Select "other" in the drop down menu instead of 2011+ Mustang.

Nice thing is you can choose the display color, and reverse the contrast so it matches the LS instrument panel and radio display.

It can also be programmed to automatically scroll up to 8 different parameters. :cool:

Last edited:
Hbi,

Thanks for the idea. And while I'm not averse to spending money... that is way more than I'm looking for.

More or less this:
10649740_aum_10004_pri_larg.jpg

Plus this:
afo501__19236.1425330973.jpg

Now it's time to paint. Since temps are dropping I'm gonna have to build a "hot box". No way I'm spraying that self etching primer in the house. That schitt is nasty.

Members online

No members online now.
Back