Do I have to bring to dealer to replace tps?

Diplomat 1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Today after I replaced the upper radiator hose I start the car up and get about 10 feet from my house and the car stalls and says “ETC engine fail safe”. Try to start and it won’t start. Check codes and get P2106 and p2135. Do some research on here and google and found a tsb for my car (attached the tile). Says the tps has to be replaced and the pcm has to be reprogrammed to latest calibration. Can I take battery of and swap the tps out with a new one myself or is this a dealer only thing? Also i found a tps at advance auto for $75. Will that work or do I have to stick to oem? TIA

59651DF2-67DA-4410-AC5D-2B4058333AB8.png

I would first recommend at least giving your local dealer a call.

Last I knew, (based on experience)... Technical Service Bulletins were done for free.

TB codes are frequently caused by bad ignition coils throwing EMI in the LS, but the no-start makes it strange

...Last I knew, (based on experience)... Technical Service Bulletins were done for free.

I've never seen that. Recalls are free, but TSBs are not recalls. They just say that this is the best way to deal with a problem that you might not have known about.

TB codes are frequently caused by bad ignition coils throwing EMI in the LS, but the no-start makes it strange

Agreed. He really needs to pull the non-generic codes to have any clue as to what is really happening.

Agreed. He really needs to pull the non-generic codes to have any clue as to what is really happening.

Hey joegr in my research I saw that too but each of those cases there was a lot more codes involved. In this one I only have these 2 codes when I try to start. That’s why I am thinking the tps is bad

Hey joegr in my research I saw that too but each of those cases there was a lot more codes involved. In this one I only have these 2 codes when I try to start. That’s why I am thinking the tps is bad

What tool are you using to read the codes? I suspect that yours is only giving the generic OBDII codes.
Forscan is a cheap way to get everything.

What tool are you using to read the codes? I suspect that yours is only giving the generic OBDII codes.
Forscan is a cheap way to get everything.

I used my handheld Autel scanner but I also have a snap on verus I can hook up also if you think I will get more codes.

Last edited:

Members online

Back