How to reset codes without a scan tool

Stevep-05LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
It seems someone borrowed my scan tool and now I have a check engine light.

Is there a way to read the codes and clear the codes without a scan tool? i.e. blinky lights etc...

Negative.
Thankfully, a $5 bluetooth OBDII adapter + Torque will do that job quite well.

You can reset the light (and the monitors and learned values) by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds.
That said, why do it?
If there is a fault, the light will just come back on when the monitors complete. If the fault is gone, then the light will go off on it's own when there have been enough cycles to be sure it is fixed.

I'd rather not reset it. That way, when the light does go off I know it is really fixed. If you clear it, then you don't know until it has been several days and the light isn't back on.

There have been times ( not with my LS) in the past where I have seen a car not start without a reset due to the excessive amount of codes generated by some series of events. In these times normal function was restored by a reset even though the initial problem may still have remained. Some cars won't clear with a battery disconnect because of capacitor backup memory. You can hold the two disconnected battery cables together for a few seconds to discharge the capacitors and wipe the memory.

There have been times ( not with my LS) in the past where I have seen a car not start without a reset due...

While Ford/Jaguar did copy a lot from BMW, fortunately, they didn't copy that...

Members online

No members online now.
Back