I think i'm changing the oil wrong. Gotta question.

lsismore

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2003 LS V6. After draining the oil and replacing the oil filter, judging by the level on the dipstick, my car doesn't seem to want to take 6.9 quarts of oil, per the manual.

When you all change your oil, are you checking the dipstick as you get towards the end of filling it? Or do you just add 6.9 quarts?

I'd think the correct way would be to check the dipstick and not overfill it, but maybe I'm missing something. Like do I need to start the car to get the new oil into the system?

Sorry for the basic ass question but it's been nagging at me.

lottaoil.PNG

Starting it gets the new oil into the filter. I personally start it after mostly filling then let it settle and top it off to the dipstick.

Yes always start the car and let it idle for about one or two minutes then check the dip stick and like Jerry said top it off until its between the minimum and full line

Last edited:
With all my vehicles I always pre soak the filter with whatever it will hold without spilling when I thread it on. Then I add the rest of the required amount to the crankcase.

Then I run it till it gets up to temp, then shut it off and let the oil drain back to the pan for a few minutes... then double check the level.

A dry filter will normally absorb around 1/2 quart depending on the size of the filter.

Also, a little over (up to 1/2 quart is a little) won't hurt anything at all.
Better a little too much than a little too little.

Members online

No members online now.
Back